[NL2-NL10] do i played right?

• vizaud
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with 6, 6.
      Hero calls $0.02, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, SB calls $0.01, BB raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.24) 6, 2, J (2 players)
      BB bets $1.50, Hero calls $0.57.

Turn: ($2.31) K (2 players)

River: ($2.31) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.31.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sixs(6s 6c).
      BB shows three of a kind, kings(Ks Kh).

BB wins with three of a kind, kings(Ks Kh).
  • 3 replies
    • Janosikgdy
      I don't like your calling pre just raise it.

postflop fine.
    • AmAsu
      If people let other people limp and don't punish them too often (and I imagine this happens at 2NL), even that limp UTG is ok, but you have to KNOW you'll be able to see the flop pretty often, i.e. passive table with no "table captain" player. Otherwise just fold it.

After you get raised it's a fold, because you're playing pretty much fit or fold postflop and, while this is not neccesarely wrong with a pocket pair at this particular limit, the effective stacks don't allow you to do that profitably. The odds of you hitting the set are 8:1 against, and currently you're getting about 2:1 from the pot. Than means you still need to win about 6*8 (8 cents for the call, 6 times being the difference between the 8:1 odds and 2:1 pot odds), so about 50 cents from your opponent, when you actually hit the set. Yes, you do have more than that left in your stack, but just barely, and you have to consider the fact that even when you hit you might not get enough from him or the fact that, even when you get it in on the flop, you won't have 100% equity - for example, here you had about 90% equity, but there are cases where you have a lot less, from close to 0 (set over set) or about 66% (vs pair + FD etc). The point is you have to have more behind after such a call to make it profitable, which you don't, so fold.

After flop you have to get it in.
    • Duudalinja

First of all buy in for full stack (100BB) if you are playing BSS, you are missing a lot of value if you are short or middle stacked.

Starting Hands Chard doesn't suggest that tho, but I usually like raising hands that I'm going to play instead of open limping or folding. FR from UTG you may just fold it or limp as you did, but anyway I like raising as it gives possibility to take pots down with cbets and it starts building pot pre if you hit your set, because you want to stack him off then.

With your effective stacks getting raise is ugly spot to be in as you don't get odds to setmine just because you didn't buy in for full stack. If you had close to 100BB stack you could easily call because you can give yourself better odds if there is any chance MP2/SB jump in pot aswell.

As played on such a flop it's easy stack off.

Good luck!