Downloadable Videos for the love of christ!

• TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Srsly, every other education site has got onto the bandwagon with this.

For people who live in countries like Aus/NZ where you have to pay 1$ for each GB of bandwidth it all adds up quickly especially if you want to rewatch videos.

I went to the painstaking effort of manually recording the videos to disk ages ago for this purpose (which shouldn't be necessary) but it's a huge waste of time when you guys could offer direct DLs ;P
  • 16 replies
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I agree completely. Actually what I hate the most is having to click all the search option every damn time I have to look for a video. Instead of just having a folder with the ones that interest me/want to watch.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Yeah this is absolutely positively necessary.
      If people show the videos to non pokerstrategy members who really cares anyway? it'll probably make the other people more likely to sign up than if they hadn't seen them
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hello folks,

I appreciate the feedback, however our stance so far was that, while we can't completely avoid pirating of our content, we wouldn't want to make it easier. I understand your point and will pass on your feedback to our video folks, however please bear in mind that this is not the first time this suggestion was made.

Hadi
    • OnkelHotte
      OnkelHotte
      Black
      Furthermore I would like to add that our videos are of around 50-100 MB in size.
      Thus even with payment by bandwidth we are convinced nobody will go broke :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      And did management also thought of DRM in the videos then?
    • Riesutas
      Riesutas
      Bronze
      Please refrain from posting tools that can be used to violate our T&C - Hadi
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze

I was skeptical at first, but turns out he really said this.

Seriously though, you're assuming that the occasional video being leaked is a bad thing, while in reality it will just give you some (pretty much) free publicity. More importantly though, the sharing of videos won't be nearly as significant as you seem to think. I actually tried searching for DC videos out of curiosity after reading this thread, and I couldn't find a single one. And it's one of, if not the most popular training site to offer downloadable videos.

Besides, even if someone were to share the videos, it would still be worth paying for the subscription (or, in PS's case, play tracked) to get all the videos, especially the latest videos as soon as they come out.
      Also, it's stupidly easy to download flash videos with any of the dozens of browser extensions or stand-alone programs made just for that, like Riesutas said (solid first post btw). So if someone really wanted to illegally share PS videos, it would've been done years ago.

Finally, not making videos downloadable is just some of the plain dumb, backward thinking that makes PS lose loads of potential good grinders. For instance, making a particularly good video freely available (heck, you could even make it look like a leak) would give players from other communities a good reason to check out the site -- which, let's face it, doesn't have a great reputation on 2p2 etc -- and grind to get access to more videos.

that is all.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      ^ What he said. PS is really behind the times on this.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      Finally, not making videos downloadable is just some of the plain dumb, backward thinking that makes PS lose loads of potential good grinders. For instance, making a particularly good video freely available (heck, you could even make it look like a leak) would give players from other communities a good reason to check out the site -- which, let's face it, doesn't have a great reputation on 2p2 etc -- and grind to get access to more videos.

that is all.
      Really? That surprises me cos i've tried 2p2 and I think PS smashes its face off in terms of everything
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I think DRM with allowing max 2or 3 IPs//hits//PC hardware code (so that you can share it with a friend and/or watch it from somewhere else rather than the website itself) is a good concession between both parties.

By allowing a certain amount of IPs/hits/PChardware code per login I think you can give the user the freedom to show it to a friend of his and therefore start a mouth-2-mouth chain.

Instead of condoning it, you can effectively use this as a tool to earn more revenue. In terms of opportunity, you are missing something here especially reading 2+2 threads/posts about your stance/POV towards this thing.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Of course DRM would be an option and would certainly be our choice if we were to start from scratch. Changing an existing system, however, creates substantially more workload - and would take away resources that are needed elsewhere :)

Hadi
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      meh, DRM would be a mistake imo. It just serves to annoy the casual user, while it offers nothing but a trivial challenge to hackers (it's no secret that even apple can't make an un-hackable DRM, that's why they stopped using it). Besides, part of the reason so many people want downloadable videos is to be able to watch them on a smartphone/PMP, and you pretty much eliminate that possibility with DRM.
      So yeah, going with that would be a pretty big mistake, and a huge waste of resources; whereas implementing video download within the current system would take a mediocre programmer half a day at most..
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      It is already impossibly easy to download the videos. You guys are only hurting legitimate users by pretending that the current status-quo is acceptable.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      it's also possible (i obv wont post how here) to download the full video's that you dont have access to... while i agree that the level system is definatly needed (for no other reason than it stops beginners from accessing information there not ready for yet) having DLC would seem like a necessity at this day and age...

if not DLC, then make a iPhone app which allows you to login and watch video's based on your level, this wouldn't be that hard to do and is yet another incredible advertising source.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hi AlCaTrAzzALZ,

if you think you've found an exploit on our page, please send an email with all details to english@pokerstrategy.com :)

Hadi
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      Hi AlCaTrAzzALZ, if you think you've found an exploit on our page, please send an email with all details to english@pokerstrategy.com smile Hadi

LOL @ that. You do not need an CS masters degree to master what AlCaTrAzzALZ pointed out. There are some things you should imrprove. First of all its the video quality - for gods sake there are great codecs (H.264) out there that would allow watching those videos in a "normal" size instead of fullscreen. Furthermore I find the searching options a little weird - could be way improved to better usabilty.
      Nevertheless I really like the idea of an iPhone / Android app. Such a thig could be implemented in a matter of time - JavaScript should do the trick no need for objective C skills or anything like that...