Too scared to play anymore

• Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      I haven't played for like a week now on partypoker... ever since I reached silver...

Before that I played about 2000 hands with the SSS and my bankroll had ups and down and got to about 47$.(so I lost about 3$ in 2000 hands).

Then I started to look at silver strategy, and I know Ill have to put my bankroll at risk to learn it (reading the articles while I play, because thats the type of learner I am). I estimate that learning the SSS did cost me about 6$. I think the BSS will cost me about 10$... I also think the articles are much too complex for me...

I know I'm at a turning point in my poker career, because the silver article finally let me think by myself and make decisions. But I gave up because Im too scared to play big stack on a NL4 table...
      It really sucks.. because I lost my first bankroll by being a complete moron (like buying in tournaments that cost 100$), and Ill lose that one by not playing at all...

I was watching undercover82 videos.. where he does exactly what the SSS says and go all-in with AK under certain conditions, or when the pot is 2x his stack (I lost a lot doing the exact same thing). And I was thinking, yeah, thats very easy to say when you have 10kUS$ in your bankroll.

I won an entry into the biggest tournament on some poker site, but I doubt myself so much these days that I think Ill just give up poker... and go play something easier like like unreal tournament 2004 or something...
  • 8 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mystrapoker!

If you want to quit poker and think it's too difficult for you, you should definitely quit poker. But I doubt that it's too difficult for anyone. As you can see in the undercover82 videos: The SSS works fine, no matter whether you have a $50 bankroll or a $10k bankroll. Just concentrate on the SSS articles and don't care about the BSS articles. Try to improve your SSS skills. Maybe that helps.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I think you have the wrong mentality there. You dont have the BR for playing BSS anyway , so you dont need to make a choice yet. You dont have to switch to BSS just because you are able to read the articles. I didn't always have a decent BR , i started with 50$ like you and although i easily prefer BSS over SSS now , i have to admit i initially built my BR with SSS. 2k hands is nothing anyway , you cant expect any serious variance at that limit over so few hands.
      Just make careful table selection and play standard and you will eventually win.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      If you can't handle it, quitting is fine. Gambling is stressful and your decisions will always be plagued with uncertainty, this isn't for everyone.

If you've really got an entry into one of the big tournaments though, do play that. Remember that nothing is at risk, and maybe you cash. It doesn't have to go to your bankroll because if you're not going to play poker you don't need a bankroll.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      I decided to continue playing. Im not going to give up when I'm at a turning point. I played the BSS today and I really played well, thought I lost 5$ because I had a trips and the enemy had a better kicker. I made it back later anyway when I got suited connectors and the SHC told me to 'call', and got a straight on the flop. Also someone tried to bluff me on the flop when I had KK, he raised me on the turn and the river and he had 99, Ill probably post that hand thought because I disliked how I played it.

The tournament was the pokerstars sunday millions, so I decided to unregister and take the T$ instead. I can play like 200 to 500 tournaments with the 215T$ instead of playing in just one in which I have like next to no chance to even finish in the money.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Or you could even sell the T$ for real$, lucky it was on stars. Hope you manage to eliminate the fear from your game and discover what you're capable of.
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Yeah. We'll see what happens. I mean it's 50$ and I didn't even have to put my own money in line. I think Ill do some tournament on partypoker, because apparently Im bad at cash games.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi mystrapoker!

Of course you can give it a try with your T$ to play tournaments on PokerStars "for free". But I recommend that you wait with tournament play until we have published our new tournament strategy area. An alternative would be that you read some books like "Harrington on Hold'em I" and "Harrington on Hold'em II".
      Whatever you do:

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Ill probably wait. Though I think Im pretty good in tournaments. I now have about 225US$ on pokerstars and about 45$ on partypoker... nice (except for the partypoker part). I exchanged my 215T$ for like 214US$...