Study the equity of a calling range

• kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Hi, I would like build up a good and smooth way to study. I have taken inspiration from Pzhon and his ICMExplorer (thanks for that) to determinate how much equity I need in particular situation of a SNG’s.

So, we say that to call a push all-in of villain I need a certain equity (every situation is well covered by the ICMExplorer) and I would like now go to find out which one is my ideal calling range with pokerstove (or equilator as I believe that it can do the same job) and which hand is profitable for that call.

By using the pokerstove/equilator, how I am going to search for my equity by try or there is a system that allowed me to find out the appropriate equity?

Es. I have found out with ICMExplorer that to make a profitable call to an all-in of villain on the bubble with stacks between 6500 and 1345 I will need 62% of equity (the number are invented just for the example) and I am going to using my pokerstove/equilator.
      What is my processing? How I am going to find my equity on these tools?
      In two words, can any kind soul explain me please how to look for the equity on the pokerstove/equilator? (I mean do I need look for any suitable hand, range or I can do some automatism to have them out?)
      Thx :heart:
  • 3 replies
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      I read what I have wrote and even I done that I find difficult to understand what I mean :D (I am start believe that I should take a break :tongue: )).

Well, I try again; I would like calculate the right hand/hand range for a determinate equity. How I do that?
      Thx :heart:

P.S. Hope now sound better!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Once you have the equity needed from ICM Explorer, you can enter it and your estimate for the pusher's range into Equilator, and press Equilate.

Determining your opponent's range can be very hard, and if you put in the wrong range, you will get a bad calling range back. Some ways to get a pushing range for your opponent include the following:

1) What would you push in his position?
      2) What have you seen others push in similar situations?
      3) How often have past players pushed in similar situations according to your database?

Method 1 is the easiest, but I hope you play better than your opponents. That means they will not play as you do.

Method 2 is more accurate. Be careful that if one player pushes JTo, and another folds KJo, you see the push and not the fold. There is a tendency to overestimate how widely players are pushing if you just remember the hands you have seen.

Method 3 is better, but it takes some familiarity with the filters in your database. You want to combine the results with your reads on the player.
    • albionpro
      albionpro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      Once you have the equity needed from ICM Explorer, you can enter it and your estimate for the pusher's range into Equilator, and press Equilate.

Determining your opponent's range can be very hard, and if you put in the wrong range, you will get a bad calling range back. Some ways to get a pushing range for your opponent include the following:

1) What would you push in his position?
      2) What have you seen others push in similar situations?
      3) How often have past players pushed in similar situations according to your database?

Method 1 is the easiest, but I hope you play better than your opponents. That means they will not play as you do.

Method 2 is more accurate. Be careful that if one player pushes JTo, and another folds KJo, you see the push and not the fold. There is a tendency to overestimate how widely players are pushing if you just remember the hands you have seen.

Method 3 is better, but it takes some familiarity with the filters in your database. You want to combine the results with your reads on the player.
      This is very helpful but how could someone without a HUD or someone who doesnt play that often with bad memory benefit from this?

On top of what pzhon has said i think table dynamics can affect decisions because if the shover is a short stack on the bubble his range will be completely different to that of a CL making a squeeze play!

So although calculations are helpful, reads on table dynamics and stacks are just as important!