$18.97
      BU:
      $17.33
      SB:
      $11.69
      BB:
      $4.55

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9, 9.
      Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BU raises to $0.70, SB folds, BB calls $0.60, Hero calls $0.40.

Flop: ($2.15) A, A, T (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU bets $0.50, BB folds, Hero raises to $1.30, BU calls $0.80.

Turn: ($4.75) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.75.

I called preflop because BB called. I raised on flop as I want small pocket pairs to fold.

The turn was a surprise. I bet for value hoping villain had an A. But he fold, indicating he had something like 77/88 and thought I had an A.

Is the line fine or should I check turn and river and hope to induce a bluff from villain on the turn or river?
  • 5 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I usually don't give unknowns small pocket pairs when they min3bet me, it's more likely they just have QQ+. If you know he does that regularly that changes things, but by default I won't screw with him postflop especially out of position.

So preflop is fine.

On the flop I'd just fold regardless of how weak his bet looks, he min3bet to begin with so it could be his idea of valuebetting with Ax, and even if he has KK he's usually not folding it to a raise because 1/ he's pissed that some A cards came 2/ since there are two A on the flop, he won't believe we have one. Again if you know he min3bets crap, raising becomes more viable, tho still probably not worth it with an underpair out of position when villain can float and be a pain in the ass even if he has KQ or something (KQ type hands have a lot of equity against 99 with 2 overs + gutshot + counterfeit outs).

As played checking the turn is usually the better option if

- you think villain will bet all trips
      - you think villain is still capable of having stuff like Tx that he'll fold to a turn bet but might call a bet on the river with

Assumption #2 is reasonable, assumption #1 depends on how passive villain is. If villain doesn't fold Tx on the turn and/or might check behind weak trips, you're better off just forcing the action yourself.

On the turn you can't give him 88/77 when he folds, if you do that means your flop raise didn't fold out anything, which means it was useless to begin with and you shouldn't have done it. Keep your thinking consistent throughout the hands and only adjust when you see you were wrong at showdown.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Mostly agreed.

But IMO raise flop > call flop. Villain looked to be scared by the AA there.

When I boated up I bet out hoping villain had a small Ax that he feared to get in on the flop. But now I realize if he feared to get it in on the flop then he wouldn't call on the turn either.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I didn't say call flop > raise flop, just that folding trumps both.

As for the small "Ax afraid to get it in on the flop => small Ax won't call on the turn" it's just plain wrong, just because people don't want to get it in doesn't mean they're capable of folding it. If he's afraid with his Ax on the flop you should definitely bet the turn, as he won't bet himself with it and most people can't lay down trips even if they feel they're beat.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Awesome comments as usual!

Just curious, what's ur major MasterOfZerg? Philosophy or something like that?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Engineering.