[NL2-NL10] NL2 - AJ vs loose agressive

• alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      ignore the stacks, there were no empty tables for deepstack so I played in a shallow stack table.

Villain here is a guy with stats:

60/50 who 3bets 50% of the times preflop, and 100% of the times when he is in the BB. (thanks HEM :D )

Post flop he cbets 75% and 3bets 50%

I had him on my table for around 20 hands. A small sample but I think he 3bets a lot.

1st) Is my thinking right?

2nd) Is my preflop play right?

3rd) Is my postflop play right?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Known players:
      MP2:
      $0.81
      MP3:
      $1.74
      CO:
      $0.51
      BU (Hero):
      $0.77
      SB:
      $0.78
      BB:
      $0.80

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB raises to $0.18, Hero calls $0.12, SB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.54) 3, J, 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.59(All-In), SB folds.

Turn: ($1.75) 8 (2 players)

River: ($1.75) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.75.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and eights(Js Ac).

BB shows two pairs, queens and eights(Qh Qs).

BB wins with two pairs, queens and eights(Qh Qs).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

20 hands is usually no sample to draw conclusions from when your opponents could be a tag. Like if he was 60/0 you already would know he's a fish, but 60/50 could turn out to be anything from a 15/14 nit on a hot streak to a 30/28 lag bossing people around.

Assuming you're right in trying to play back at him, the correct play is usually to 4-bet/jam AJo on him. If he can 3bet/fold good you win dead money for a small risk, if he can't 3bet/fold and he's indeed 3betting a lot, he will call it off with hands that AJ is doing very good against cold, while you'll be hardpressed to continue on flops that you miss 2/3 of the time if you just call. You'd need to call it off with AJ-high sometimes to play correctly if you're right about his tendencies. SB is in the hand as well, which makes it even more complicated to deal with postflop, so ending it preflop is best in most cases.

Hope it helps.