HU poker NL : Advices and thoughts

• stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hello friends,

So the last few days I have been doing a few low limit HU sng and I have been doing quite well at them I can say.

Party poker gave me money for free so I decided to go a bit crazy with it (My real BR is on FT and Cake so I don't really care!)

Played few 6$ HU (about 7) and won majority of them while I lost the other ones against some all-in preflop. (Where I was ahead 100% of the time.) because the blinds were too high.

I really feel that HU poker is the poker that involves the most skills and that it is the poker where you can really "beat" or get a read on your opponent. So many players are extra passive HU!

I also know and read that it is the poker where the variance is the highest, but if you always make the right move and go in preflop with the best hand I suppose you can make money in the long term.

Now I need some advice. :

1) Should I stick with SnG HU or switch to cash game HU ? I feel Sng HU makes it a lot more about luck because of the blind level while HU cash game is a lot more skills...
      2) What do I do about BRM? I can't afford 50 BI for cash games in any of them. The lowest I see heads up is NL25 on most website. Anything lower anwhere? (NL10, NL5)
      3) Do you guys believe someone can be profitable from only HU play? Or the variance is too big for it to happens?

Finally, I'd like to know if any of the forum members had a shot at HU play and how it went.

Did you make money? What was the toughest thing? Did you use any HUD? Any time read? Etc.

Thanks everyone and take care.
  • 6 replies
    • jecis4
      jecis4
      Bronze
      I think lowest cash hu you should be playing from NL50 cuz of rake, so obv you should play hu sngs till that.
    • SPwoodrose
      SPwoodrose
      Gold
      Originally posted by stevegold87

Party poker gave me money for free
      How come?

Anyway, as the person above said you probably don't want to be playing HU cash below nl50 because the rake is such a bitch. Maybe that's not true on all poker rooms though, you could try looking into it.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global

3) Do you guys believe someone can be profitable from only HU play? Or the variance is too big for it to happens?

Finally, I'd like to know if any of the forum members had a shot at HU play and how it went.

Did you make money? What was the toughest thing? Did you use any HUD? Any time read? Etc.

Thanks everyone and take care.
      3)ofc someone can be profitable from only hu play,me and many others afaik play exclusively hu

the toughest thing to deal with is variance,there will be days u hit nothing and it will be annoying,there will be other days that u will hit stuff but stupid monkeys will hit way better and this might drive u crazy (thats why people suggest atleast 50 BI)

I personally dont use HUD cause i play at cake mostly but i know that most people use.
      Time reads are not a standard thing,they are different for everyone.

One thing though u have to know is that if u learn good hu u wont have a problem later on at 6max or w/e else BUT learning good hu over a good sample aint an easy thing.

GL in ur quest

keep it up yo
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPwoodrose

Party poker gave me money for free
      How come?

Anyway, as the person above said you probably don't want to be playing HU cash below nl50 because the rake is such a bitch. Maybe that's not true on all poker rooms though, you could try looking into it.
      If you dont play on party poker for a long time ( and I mean more than 6 months) they send you thousands of bonuses. At some point they are so desperate to have you back that they give you "free money" either 10$ or 20$. Then you need to have a certain amounts of points before a period to have it. Or, if you play enough to have like 50$ then lose 20$ your bonus wont be considered "valid" anymore since you will have lost more then what they gave you.

It's pretty interesting stuff.

I really want to try HU but I think I wont be able to because of variance and my BR. I think some website have 1$ HU sng like full tilt so I might play there.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      First, Hu sngs are really nice i play them myself (6,25s) on pokerstars turbos which are really soft.
      On party poker the rake is soo high that its muuuch harder to beat over large sample.
    • mjw006
      mjw006
      Basic
      Originally posted by Heffron89
      First, Hu sngs are really nice i play them myself (6,25s) on pokerstars turbos which are really soft.
      On party poker the rake is soo high that its muuuch harder to beat over large sample.
      The rake on party is ridic anything below $200s, and then it gets incredibly awesome :D

HUSNG's are a super beatable form of poker and although the common conception is that you need more skill to play cash (which is true as a whole), the skill sets will be completely different.

Oh and you won't need 50BI's either, generally speaking 30BI's is more than sufficient.