[NL2-NL10] Right Line? NL10 SB

• joeldowey123
      just wondering if this was the right line to donk the flop in SB. I had about 15 outs and felt i was favourite at this point.

also, was the bet a good size?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 8.
      6 folds, BU raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.15, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.6) 7, J, 5 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30, BU folds.

Turn: ($1.2) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BB raises to $3.50, Hero raises to $10.29, BB calls $5.94.

River: ($20.93) K (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.93.
      Results follow:

BB shows a straight, seven high(3 4).
      Hero shows a flush, king high(9 8).

Hero wins with a flush, king high(9 8).
  • 4 replies
    • BattleHunter
      Bet sizing is really annoying when you're playing against a thinking player, but he's most probably going to fold his air. IMO it very much depends on 3 factors:

1) how is BB playing
      2) How is BU playing
      3) are you ready to take the "variance train" - if you ship it on the flop you will most probably be close to flipping, which introduces variance (ofc still a decent play as we represent a lot of str and have fold equity but anyway)

As the flop seems kinda not so drawy (besides the obvious flush draw, there are mostly gutshots), so if BU is inclined to cbet, let him do so. I kinda like to float flop with our equity and donk the turn (even if we don't improve) to fold him off some small pokets, 2nd/3rd pair type of hands that still have us beat).

Ofc if you believe that BU is not going to cbet often into two players, then indeed donking is the superior play. Making it just 1/2 is OK, as we pretty much have all the draws there are, and it doesn't seem TOO cheap like a block bet of a draw.
    • joeldowey123
      wow great reply thanks!

i just felt that i was in better shape on the flop, after the small raise from the BU and call from the BB so i donked it, even to see where i was! if i was raised i would probably call and check/fold if i didnt complete on the turn.

I didnt really know how either were playing as i had only really sat down i think it was my 6/7th hand at the table and i dont have a HUB atm!
    • MaestroOfZerg

When in doubt going broke is always fine with so many outs. I'd start by either check/raising the flop or leading out bigger for like 2/3-3/4 in order for the following turn bet to feel really threatening for people's stack. You'll often get peeled on the flop, which is good for you as most people just end up folding the turn anyway, so you win more money.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      Originally posted by BattleHunter

As the flop seems kinda not so drawy (besides the obvious flush draw, there are mostly gutshots)
      Why I feel like this is a super wet board especially in a miniraised 3-way pot.