Alex - Poker Challenge! -> Now on 5NL

• alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Hey guys (and girls if any)!

I'm Alex from Greece. I am 23 years old and I'm on my final year of studying engineering. So I got the math education needed for this :P

Nah the maths needed are not that difficult.

Wait, no music! Music please!

yeah much better now. This is an old track but I loved it back in 2008.

Now lets go on.

My poker background is not bad, but not big. I've been playing some poker the last 3 years. I had 1 account in partypoker started in 2007, it went from $30 to $200 in 20 days, grinding NL5. (or was it NL4? not much of a difference though). I was playing right and learning at the same time to fix some of my leaks. After I got to $200 I got tired of grinding and said ok, now I know how to play low level cash lets study some sngs and mtts.

I didn't give a damn about my bankroll, as I have earned it and it would be my "teaching expenses".

So the bankroll went back down to $40 after having a big downswing and alot bad plays in sngs, and I cashed them out, returning them to my parents who thought I would lose everything in 1 day.

A bit after (or like a year after that? time flied back then )I started playing don sngs which I teared apart. on pokertime I started with a free 10e bankroll which they gave back then, and after grinding 1e dons i reached 25e, then grinded 2e sngs, 5e and lastly 10e. There were not players any higher so I decided to stop playing sngs and I cashed out around 400e. All this was in about 3 weeks time during my exams.

ROI was an amazing 72% over around 300 games. (mb a bit more or less cant remember the exact number).

then I got tired of poker and left it.

Last January I started playing again with the capital of pokerstrategy.com

well it wasnt that good start. my ev line was about $45 higher than my winnings, playing sss nl2. Yeah that much :D

So a couple weeks ago I started playing again with those few remaining dollars, and said to myself that if I go bust (which had the biggest chances of becoming true) I would do a deposit.

Well, I started playing sngs and I ripped them apart.

so I got around $25 to play with in cash games. If I go busto Ill deposit $200 and clear teh bonus. My target is to reach as high as possible, using proper BRM of course.

I'll play in shallow tables first, so I can push those idio... eeeer those fish easy and minimize any loses, plus play with a good BI according to my BR, as Im need to minimze my risk of loss till I get back to my old form :) .

So I have around 30 BIs to play with till I go bust and deposit the $200
      (sorry FTP regulars this ain't happening)

Im also MULTITABLING around 8 tables/time which with HEM hud is sweet, I don't have anyproblems with those tables, I could add a couple more but I wont push it for now. (Thanks wc3 and sc for this).

Soooo the last few days I hit the tables for around 8k hands from which the 4k was just today :D

Good thing is I don't do many major mistakes, bad thing is my ev line is quite a bit higher than my winnings (again) and I also got unlucky in many cases (which you cannot see in the ev line). And I say these things are bad and not good, because im generally unlucky in everything. I don t think ill ever be above or at teh same level my ev line is.

For eg. Kings vs Aces preflop 6 times in row, not hitting a set on the flop for 137(!!!!!!!) pocket pairs in row, hitting 2 sets with no callers then again a dry spell for 76 pp (!!!!), straight over straight, full house over full house three times in an hour(!!!) and of course the classic two pairs vs higher two pairs, or AK on an A K 6 board where the villain has 6 6. You cant avoid getting busted vs these things, unless you learn from experience and develop a sense when something is NOT going right, and you do a soul read and fold.

Or you can do like Daniel where you practically don't care what the poor guy has, since you can call your runner runner straight flush

amazing video, reminds me a lot of Full Tilt P(J)oker :P

So with the stats and graphs:

http://img838.imageshack.us/i/198n.png/

stats:

hands: 6740
      winnings: $2.37
      expected winnings: $6.53 (FUUUUUUUUUUUU the boat vs boat cost me $4 god damn it and its not even showin....!!!!! :P )

vpip$ 14.4
      pfr 8.6

(the rest I dont tell ya :P )

The above values are not quite representive as they are related to the first half of hands where I played nittier and more scared, now I have loosen up a bit and I m alot more agressive. Values will be adjusted in the next 10k hands to show the near real values.

In the next few hours I ll post some important hands, others are just for whining, others for bragging rights, others because I've done a soul read on someone and others because... oh well they are fun :D

Be back soon :)
  • 15 replies
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      These hours became months... :D

Never mind better late than never :heart:

I didnt have the time to play alot of poker lately, August-September-October and mid November I was occupied with heavy studying, I have a degree waiting for me soon :D

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7FdRtjLjYqP3h_QARtyLH8BepC3d7ImQs4uEc1MysSHs4bZKY[/img]

During the busy October and November I played some hands, cash games starting from 2NL with 40bb stacks (!!!) just to get some confidence/oil the poker machine by doing the basics over and over and over and over again. I played around 17k hands this way winning at a steady 4bb/100 hands rate.

Then on Dec 4 I changed to full stack and crushed 2NL for a steady 24bb/100 hands. This was expected, these guys call all ins with anything.
      So having a full stack could only push me higher, as I was able to play pairs, suited connectors and some gappers from late position and limped pots. Also I could take better care of the limpers which are by themselves a money machine in micro stakes.

I made most of my money by raising preflop and then cbetting and valuebetting. These guys are very weak vs cbets. I have to say though that it surely was nice flopping the nut flush straight draw while having 5 fish in a pot lol.

Exploiting these pots with 4+ limpers was just the icing to the cake.

Here is the graph... As you can clearly see, changing to full stack from 40bb @ around 17.5k hands had a dramatic effect on my game

The last 3-4 days I changed level, now Im playing on 5NL.
      I have played around 5k hands the last 3 days, and they have been really swingy.

People here play like maniacs, they are worse than on 2NL. They shove with nothing on a checked flop (!!!), they 4bet all in with 10-6, they even call a 3bet with 4-2!!!!!!

This last one cost me a stack, I was MP1 with Aces, UTG+1 raises (4bb stdr)I reraise to 12bb and BU flat calls.

Flop A - 4 -2, I check he bets, I raise he shoves I call... He shows me 4 fuckin 2 .... Offsuit! LOL!

Im +$10 at 5NL right now, graphs coming later or tomorrow. I also had to make some changes to my preflop game as these guys call alot and like a herd.

I did the standart 4+1 raise and had 3 limpers call, again and again.

Some other times a single guy with a VPIP of 73 and af of 0.7 called... disaster on a flop of K 7 4 with me having AJ and him... I dunno what.
      These guys also raise randomly vs me, even with nothing, he could have 10-6 and reraise me on my cbet. He may well have K-4, 7-4, 7-7, Jacks, Tens, 2-2... Go figure. Why the hell they raise vs me and they are passive vs everyone else, do I have a target on my avatar or smthing?

Seriously everyone with VPIP 50+ and AF of <1 tried to bluff me. It was funny to say the least...

Thats what I think made my game so swingy, I couldnt put these idiots on a hand since they called with anything or they called like a herd.

Now I can isolate one poor limper and throw the maniacs out (thanks a lot 2p2 regs + nanonoko (!) for reviewing a couple hands and answering some questions) and once we are heads up he is finished (well unless he keeps calling and makes a runner runner flush that is :D )

Or I just cash in the limped pot :D :D :D

Cliff notes:
      First 4.4k hands I was @ 0, constantly being from +4 to -4 back to +4 then -2 then +1 then -3...

Last 600-800 hands, after I altered my preflop game and I can play my regular game at last, I started crushing them. Up two stacks in 800 hands (this is my rate for 2NL full stack too).

After adjusting a little bit I have a feeling that these tables have more fish than 2NL.

2NL guys are weak-tight, these guys are huge callling stations. 2NL guys also defend their blinds (!!!) these do not seem to care :f_biggrin:
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze

Alright, a new day today :D

I started off with my oatmeal + honey + protein shake and a nice 10table session for about 30 minutes... which was fruitful , both for my bankroll but more for my poker education.

I made a little more than a BI ($6.35) to be exact and could have made a couple dollars more if I hadnt run to a guy who flopped nut straight and to a weird fish who must have got either a full house or he's an overagressive monkey. He is 50/19 !!!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $4.92
      BB:
      $6.00
      UTG2:
      $6.91
      MP1:
      $7.25
      MP2:
      $12.50
      MP3 (Hero):
      $6.54
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $6.91

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, J.
      CO posts deadblind, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 4 folds, MP1 calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.72) 3, 7, T (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.55, MP1 calls $0.55.

Turn: ($1.82) T (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.82) 2 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $2.00, Hero folds, MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.82.

he has a river AF of 29% so I cant put him on hand with that pot bet.
      He may have a set, he may fishbluff, or even maybe betting his pair of 8s.

This is a leak I have right now: cbetting vs monkeys.

I wanted to rep an overpair here, but this guy is 50/19 he cant even think. This kind of boards are not profitable to cbet vs this kind of opponent. I should be only valuebetting vs 50/19 calling stations.

So leveling is an issue sometimes for me at 5NL which WAS NOT in 2NL. This bluff was around 70% succesfull there, at least thats what my hem stats say. Maybe I was playing with more nits there since I didnt bother to table select.

I cant really understand this, on 2NL the tables really need more thinking while 5NL is full of 50/12 calling stations. Wow! No worries, more money to be made, less thinking needed :D !!!

Also saw the ad for the Greek Poker League @Stars, but im not interested in throwing money there atm. It should be easy competition as most Greek guys have recently just heard of poker and their poker education is non existant. Mb I throw the bonus $10 I get from the stellar rewards soon ( i need 100 more points which I can get easy till dec 31), there (its $3 for 2nd division BI).

Lastly I saw some free cardrunners vids and read a couple good threads on 2p2 to grow my poker edu. I have to put some volume, but I also have to do some studying and training to do for today, maybe later if im not burned out I ll put 500-800 hands.
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Yesterday I devoted my rest poker hours to studying and finding leaks.

The first one I could easily spot was the way low and medium pocket pairs were played. I found some pretty nice articles about that, and I changed somewhat my game, will see in the next 5-10k hands how this will affect my game.

Today I did an 1 hour solid session, +$11 and Im back to my 2NL winning rate.

I now feel I have fully adjasted my game to this level and I will keep growing my bankroll at a steady rate :f_biggrin: !!!!

Here is the graph for 5NL.
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      gl with this m8 :D
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $3.13
      CO:
      $12.80
      BU:
      $3.26
      SB:
      $3.95
      BB (Hero):
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $7.39
      MP1:
      $2.70

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 6.
      UTG2 calls $0.05, 5 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.15) 3, 6, 6 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, UTG2 raises to $0.20, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.85, UTG2 raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $5.05, UTG2 calls $3.45.

Turn: ($10.05) 2 (2 players)

River: ($10.05) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.05.
      Results follow:

UTG2 shows a full-house, sixs full of nines(6 9).
      Hero shows three of a kind, sixs(K 6).

UTG2 wins with a full-house, sixs full of nines(6 9).

damn!

oh well its huge +EV so no worries...

edit bad swing so far... I was up around +11, hit this guy, hit a flush vs boat on river, AK on flush board with an A vs set (i bet 3street as my King could give me nut flush), my cbets always getting raised by guys with af<0.8... FML

edit2: shit ran twice into aces with KK...

Originally posted by smile101
      gl with this m8 :D

can you tell this to my opponents too plz? :D
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Im sick of the bad beats today, im down 5BI... AA vs 10-5, KK vs Q-7 and some other sick staff... Like betting on flop and turn and this guy getting a backdoor straight on the river... to beat my set... couldnt guess what he was holding and I shoved...

bad day, Ill take some days off .

5nl

5NL and 2NL combined
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Hey people Happy New Year!

I last time I posted I was in a downswing. I played some hands after that, around 2-2.5k.

The downswing stopped after the first 1k, and I started winning on my normal rate again, woohooo :D :f_biggrin:

• alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      damn everytime I post here something terrible happens... ran my kings to aces 3 times in 1 hour :f_eek:
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Update: I've been breaking even @ 5NL for 10k hands @ $+26 which is very frustrating... I made 3 times more rake than what I won during those 10k hands lol :D

Current Bankroll: $199.31 (($50.00 from bonuses)) so true bankroll is 149. More than double my deposit. Alright!

I stopped playing 2NL since its too easy and it cant help me grow, plus the money I can get there is way too few to commit time. Its better to play 5NL and then study my game and fix some leaks.

What currently is a huge leak of mine is I dont know when to play for stacks. I mean normally I wouldnt play with TPTK or even two pairs, but on this level, contrary to 2NL (!!!!!), many players shove with air, tpgk or 2nd pair...

So on a borad of

A 3 7 rainbow,

when I face a reraise-all in, after I bet with my AK, many times Im clueless.
      Same happens on

J 3 7

while Im holding aces

The guy could have a set, air, or A J on both boards.

Thats what keeps me getting stuck in the breakeven stretch. Im winning and losing stacks quite a bit on such conditions, and I start feeling uncomfortable about my hand reading skills which I never did so far.

This is by far my biggest fear in poker, playng vs a mixture of setminers, fish and maniacs on the same table. OMG!
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      you can take notes of set miners, fish, maniacs and such. you can write how they play their sets or how they overplay weak top pairs, etc.

you can also use colours to mark different players, for me it's:

green - fish, free money

orange - nit/set miner or a creative player (either way bad to play against because you don't want to enter mind battles with 1 specific opponent when you're mass multitabling - this can lead to changes in your overall play)

blue - calling station (so you know to bluff less such opponents and value bet more when you hit and they call)

I use more colours, but these are kinda the most crucial ones :f_love:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dendra
      you can take notes of set miners, fish, maniacs and such. you can write how they play their sets or how they overplay weak top pairs, etc.

you can also use colours to mark different players, for me it's:

green - fish, free money

orange - nit/set miner or a creative player (either way bad to play against because you don't want to enter mind battles with 1 specific opponent when you're mass multitabling - this can lead to changes in your overall play)

blue - calling station (so you know to bluff less such opponents and value bet more when you hit and they call)

I use more colours, but these are kinda the most crucial ones :f_love:
      This means your tables look like pretty rainbows? :heart:
      :f_biggrin:
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      yep more or less :P (I use red, blue, dark blue, green, purple and yellow)
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tip Dendra, I already wrote down some notes, but nothing that organized. Seems like a very good way to help me as Im multitabling (im playing 8-12 tables).

About other "dangerous" players ... In the last couple thousand hands I tend to avoid them till I get a monster and then I get them trapped.

Money wise im going good, since they havent figured out, but I wonder if this is good in the long term?

I mean we learn through difficult situations, and these are the situations that challenge me on 5NL... Everything else can be sumed up to just waiting to trap the fish and push the weak tights around.

Well I guess you cant read a maniac on 5NL l :D lol!
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Update:

5NL

2NL+5NL
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Really good graph there man :D Keep up the good work!