"Don't do that" *click* "WHY DID I DO THAT?"

• 19 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Try cutting off a finger every time you click the wrong button, either you'll learn not to click the wrong buttons or won't have fingers to click with. Sounds like win win to me.
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Plan.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Try cutting off a finger every time you click the wrong button, either you'll learn not to click the wrong buttons or won't have fingers to click with. Sounds like win win to me.
      +1
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      That's the best +$EV move i've seen in these forums so far.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holnrew
      Why oh why do I know that I shouldn't make a call, but go ahead and do it anyway?
      You should read ...

Originally posted by holnrew
      Am I going to be recommended The Poker Mindset again? :P
      ... I mean seriously the kindle edition is $15. You can get it like right now now now. It pays for itself even if you play NL2!
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      The best way imo is to go with it, get on tilt after such call and lose at least 17stacks.. Lesson learned
    • Somnius
      Somnius
      Basic
      most answers to these questions can start with take a couple of deep breaths and an extra few seconds before you do what seems automatic. if that doesn't work then maybe you don't actually think you should press the button and are just reflecting unfairly. either way doing more work away from the table would help.

also if you're playing a lot of tables you shouldn't really expect any less then this sort of thing happening.
    • MIMIso
      MIMIso
      Bronze
      I have the same problem. Not that often tho, but sometimes yeah.

It is almost always when I hold AA/KK and, villian suspiciously(he always takes full time to act) just calls c-bet, does the same on the turn and shoves river.

I am 99% sure he floped a set, but somehow I call just to see it. :f_cry:
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      I used to have the same problem, and since i stopped i've become a winning player.
      I have writen it on a sheet, which i've stuck to my wall to remind me everytime i go on, "no sloppy calls - FOLD WHEN YOUR BEAT!"

You should do the same :)
    • royalbulet
      royalbulet
      Bronze
      Agreed with DecMate , i used to do the same thing , every game , then go on tilt and loose more and more , after i read some articles i decided to resist the urge to do so. and started winning.
      also what inspired me the most was chenny's video about table ninja . i don't use it since i dont play so many sngs at once ( onyl play about 4-6 )
      but he said something during the video that inspired me and helped me alot.
      dont Tile the tables if you are impulsive player , just cascade them. act on 1 table as you see fit , then move on to the next not giving a F**K what happens next. you know you made the right decision. the luck factor now comes into play , but you just don't watch it.
      ( not his exact words but still close )

since then i observed that it's much better to do so , than go on tilt cause of a bad beat and then just makr worse and worse calls .

This is imho the solution. helped me out. maybe u schould watch the vid.

Regards,

Bulet
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      I used to have the same problem, and since i stopped i've become a winning player.
      I have writen it on a sheet, which i've stuck to my wall to remind me everytime i go on, "no sloppy calls - FOLD WHEN YOUR BEAT!"

You should do the same :)
      Sounds like a very good idea :) I have the same problem... just have to make sure that I am beaten :s_evil:
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      ye but u will always say to yourself boolox what if i had him beat
    • Kireto
      Kireto
      Bronze
      Just imagine - you have decided to fold (you think you are beat) but you make the call and you win the hand :) The feeling is good enough so you can afford to lose a few buyins after that :) ) :f_biggrin:
    • PhixedGear
      PhixedGear
      Bronze
      We all do it from time to time....my best advise is close to DecMate's. My sticky said, "Why are you calling?"

When you are on the river, if you can't answer that question with "Because I am 90% sure I have the best hand," don't call.

It also works on the flop and turn if you are drawing to something...and it helps you drop those med-hi pocket pairs when an ace hits.

I like Phil Gordon's advice on this one too. Basically, if you wouldn't raise with it, why would you call with it? 2 ways to win versus 1.

Good luck ppl.
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      When you are on the river, if you can't answer that question with "Because I am 90% sure I have the best hand," don't call.

sorry, but if im 90% sure i will win the hand, i call.

that said, the hardest thing is to learn what that 90% sure is...
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      make bad call because of gut feeling
      opp has you crushed
      tilt off 10 stacks
      make thread on 2+2 saying FTP/Stars is rigged
      BR is busto but e-peens intact :P

I know what you mean though. It all comes down to patience and restraint. You'll need plenty of both to be a successful poker player imo.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      when this happens instaquit (no matter the cirumstances)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      +1

I used to have problems with this at the beginning.

if it doesn't seem like you are ahead . just fold it. If you are starting out, don't bluff.

just starting out means you have less than 10k hands played on the limit you are playing in my opinion.
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      go oops nh suck it up and learn from it. And never show your hand.