General questions on FL

• konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Hi all
      I'd like to ask some things...
      Currently, I stopped trying all variants of poker and finally decided that i like FL Holdem most. So I red some articles and yesterday started playing FL 'seriously', I played 1620 hands of $0.10/$0.20 on FTP and managed to win 113 BB (6.98BB/100). Now i'm at about $275. (started with PS $50 starting capital)

Do you think I can move to $0.25/$0.50 or should play some hands at this limit to get more used to FL? And, what BRM do you use? Some tips how to deal with next level? Question for players who already have climbed some limits... where is the step between levels, where is rapidly less fishes? Like... on $0.10/$0.20 is seldom more than one good player at the table but I imagine that on e.g. $2/$4 you are grateful for one fish sitting with you.

And, if for exapmple taavi reads this, how writing a blog helps you? Or it's just for fun?
  • 9 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Hehe, blog is mostly for fun but it kinda helps you to be consistent. People can see how you're doing at the poker tables and you will be more motivated to show some positive results.

It helps one a lot to deal with some general issues, at the beginning I posted my BR and the results of every session with bad beats every time. Several people (Waiboy, erm... some other FL dudes) told in my blog to not be result-oriented and ignore the money. I even did a week-without-looking BR challenge. So having a blog in our great community is definitely +EV.

I use the standard PokerStrategy 500 BB BRM, but with some flexibility. If I have recently had a huge downswing I might apply a bit stricter BRM to feel more confident. And if I have like 490 BB I might want to take shots to the higher limit.

$0.1/$0.2 FL FR and below that is damn easy I believe. It gets a bit more difficult at FL FR $0.25/$0.50, this is where I had my first big downswing. I'd recommend to switch to SH at $0.25/$.50 after mastering the FR, here it can also get tricky as SH is much tougher for a beginner.

I'm breakeven at $0.5/$1 SH (0.09 BB/100 for 75k hands) and losing player at $1/$2 SH (-0.47 BB/100 for 40k hands) but due to rakeback and bonuses I've made it to $2/$4. I feel confident about my play and don't need to play $1/$2 until I get in green there or whatever.

And 1 fish at a table is not enough at $2/$4. It's much fishier than you think, tables with 3 fishes are pretty common :f_p: Depends on the daytime, ofcourse.

You could take shots at $0.25/$0.50 if you have the necessary BR. If you play 4 tables, play 2 tables of higher limit and two tables of previous limit etc. If you succeed, then play only the higher limit. Bigger BR gives you more confidence. If you feel that you're not ready to play $0.25/$0.5, grind the lower limit.

I'm happy that you chose FL HE, it's very fun and challenging game :f_thumbsup:

Few things for you to do:

post lots of sample hands
      watch lots of FL videos
      read and study FL articles, especially the one about standard lines in heads-up pots
      go to FL coachings and spam Cornholio and TerrorBlade with questions
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      ^^ agree with this. :f_cool:

The only addition I'd make is to start out two tabling at most when playing a new SH limit, for a couple of reasons:

i. If you are used to FR, SH is like playing on steroids. You will end up in loads more hands and consequently making lots more marginal decisions on top of each other.

ii. When moving up limits you want to give yourself the best chance to succeed. You are unlikely to have any stats/reads on the new players so you will take some time to work out where you stand. As you move up even further you can experiment with taavi's multitable approach - it's one I use myself. Having said this, if you find you can make decisions comfortably, aren't getting rushed then by all means play more tables. I tend to think though fewer is better unless you're really thrashing a limit.

At FR four tabling shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good luck, and expecting to see a new FL blog shortly. Remember, I'm a mod. I know people. :f_p:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Only play FLSH if you plan on giving up your emotions, be in situations where you will want to kill yourself and then kill yourself again and want to puke. Otherwise just stay away from it. Good thing is that you'll become tilt immune and will be able to play pretty much every other variant of poker without even thinking of tilting. I'm a mod, I know.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for replies.
      I forgot... I already started playing SH and not even thinking about thinking about trying FR. I played FL SH also before with breaks so I don't have problems like not being too nitty from FR. I think I can handle bad beats (I played also PLO for some time and that really sucks). Now I'm 3tabling and it's the best amount for me right now. Is it ok that I usually refresh my PT3 maybe every 30 hands just to see exactly how big is my profit in current session?
      Now i'll be few days off and then? who knows maybe i'll start my own blog but maybe i'm too lazy :D
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Nope, you shouldn't check your profits within session at all. By not being results-oriented, you'll be able to play your A-game.
    • Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      Originally posted by konkey
      I already started playing SH and not even thinking about thinking about trying FR.
      Man thinking about thinking about something...that's some deep shit :D just don't apply this level of thinking on the micros, you would just outhink yourself. You will crush the highstakes though :) jk
      On a serious note...as you will get more and more serious about FL SH, I think reading "The Poker Mindset" by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger is a must (psychology book about poker).
      Also, if you wanna ever talk about poker and stuff, we have a study group on skype. If you want in, just post your skype name somewhere.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by konkey
      Thanks a lot for replies.
      I forgot... I already started playing SH and not even thinking about thinking about trying FR. I played FL SH also before with breaks so I don't have problems like not being too nitty from FR. I think I can handle bad beats (I played also PLO for some time and that really sucks).
      FL SH is a really complex game, so it's a great idea to start with FR to master the basics of FL. FR is easier to play as the ranges are much tighter. But if you've already played SH for a long time, FR will be very boring for you. Keep improving your game and mindset and you'll be fine.
    • firsttsunami
      firsttsunami
      Black
      first i recommend to start out with FR. it's better due to the tight ranges. you can't make that expensive mistakes that you can do playing SH. internalize the basic rules and then try out SH. i havent been playing the low limits for years but as i had lately observed a friend playing, i couldn't see a big skill-difference between the 2 limits but for sure as higher you get, as tougher it gets.

on the low limits the rake is really high and thus you should try to climb up the limits as fast as possible. if you don't mind taking a bigger risk, what means it might happen that you have to climb down one limit after a bad session but with the option to climb up again, you should run on a 300 BB BRM-Management.

the really first skill jump i recognized was when i climbed up from 0.50/1 to 1/2 but i don't know if that's still the case. if was playing 1/2 for a long time but also due to rakeback, i made it up to 2/4 and now playing 2/4 - 10/20. your longterm-goal should be to reach 5/10 as the rake is bearable.

i wish you good luck by your further poker-career and please don't miss the hand-evaluation forums. i'm looking forward to evaluate your hands. :)
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Ok. I started my own blog.

And my signature doesn't seem to work :(
      Enjoying FL

I hope I fixed it...