[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQ, hitting A on turn

• Pichux
      ***** Hand History for Game 2398901437 ***** (IPoker)
      $10.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Friday, August 20, 07:43:10 ET 2010
      Table Positive (Real Money)
      Seat 8 is the button
      Seat 1: ostyger ( $25.19 USD )
      Seat 3: Piters1990 ( $10.55 USD )
      Seat 5: dimasich ( $10.63 USD )
      Seat 6: gnfsteve ( $21.67 USD )
      Seat 8: Padar84 ( $10.00 USD )
      Seat 10: Nanotex ( $23.70 USD )
      Nanotex posts small blind [$0.05 USD].
      ostyger posts big blind [$0.10 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Piters1990 [ Q :club: A :diamond: ]
      Piters1990 raises [$0.35 USD]
      dimasich folds
      gnfsteve folds
      Padar84 calls [$0.35 USD]
      Nanotex folds
      ostyger folds
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 9 :heart: , 8 :diamond: , K :diamond: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      Padar84 bets [$0.63 USD]
      Piters1990 calls [$0.63 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ A :club: ]
      Piters1990 checks
      Padar84 checks
      ** Dealing River ** [ 7 :heart: ]
      Piters1990 bets [$1.58 USD]

Villain: 22/11/1.3 92h big sample

I am still wandering is this a cbettable flop or not? I guess i could have gone for a check/raise here and taken the pot down at the flop....When the A hits maybe i should have bet out. Any advice here would be appreciated.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

It's a c-bettable flop if you can barrel at the board correctly on later streets, since lots of hands will call that flop that aren't stellar by any means. You have some equity with backdoors and overcards to medium pairs, so there will be turns that will improve your equity and allow you to keep the aggression going. Only problem is you're usually forced to fire a 3rd barrel on many rivers after you barrel the turn, so it's a costly investment especially against people who aren't ever capable of folding top pairs, which that guy might very well not be. Sometimes he also has 77- that he should fold on that board more often than not.

If you're going to check/call against a huge bet anyway you should just c-bet/fold it yourself against pretty much anyone, keep the initiative and set the bet size on your own.

As played I would lead the turn except against maniacs that I'm convinced will just continue to bet air/draws/pairs alike.

As played I'd bet slightly less on the river because I don't think he ever has better than a middling Kx, if you think he can pot the flop with Ax and not bet the turn it's okay but I doubt it.

Hope it helps.