Getting scared when winning....

• StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      I am having a really good session at the moment, making good reads, picking up good cards and getting max value out of them and as such am currently up 3-4 buyins for the session, seems too good to be true (bad beat is just around the corner lol).

BUT the thing is, I feel like the more cash I am up by the more worried I get about playing, as though I am surely going to lose some of the winnings, surely I cant end the session 4 or more buyins in profit.....

Does anyobdy else get this feeling when they are running good?
  • 8 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I dont think about my winnings much. The only thing im concerned about is:

-if my decisions/game is profitable

- if my BRM is good enough

playing scared is -EV
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      I dont think about my winnings much. The only thing im concerned about is:

-if my decisions/game is profitable

- if my BRM is good enough

playing scared is -EV
      This. If you get scared when winning then I suggest you either get used to it quick, start losing or quit. I know which I'd prefer.

I assume you are relatively new so basically just keep playing the way you are, and when you are winning DO NOT change the way you play because if you start playing scared then there is not point in playing as you become easily exploitable and opponents even at the micro's will bully you out of pots.

If you can't contain this feeling straight away and are still playing scared I suggest as soon as you start feeling this way you untick the auto-post blinds box and then when it is your turn for the BB you sit out of your session (however many tables it maybe) and take a break of about 30 minutes (or longer if the feeling hasn't dispersed).

You will get used to it and on really good days decent poker players can be sitting with 5+ Buy-Ins in their stack on one table, you will need to get used to this or start leaving the table when you double up. Although if you choose the later then you could be leaving a table where you have a large edge over the competition and therefore completely losing the chance to exploit your edge and add more chips to your bankroll.

When you are in a session try your hardest to dis-assosiate yourself from the money on the table (try to just visulize the money as tourney chips and that you have paid to buy in so you need to acquire more and more chips to stay ahead of the field) and stay away from your cashier, as this will only escalate your feeling. I know this is hard and if I am having a pretty bad day I still sometimes find myself checking the cashier, but the less you do this the better.

I hope this helps, plus you could try checking out the psychology articles in the strategy section and this may increase your understanding.

Good luck :)
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice MrMArdyBum, I am relatively new. I used to play a few years ago but stopped and have just picked it up again in the last month or two and its going remarkably well.

I find the psychology of it all so interesting, probably a lot to do with being a Psych post-grad student lol.

I would have thought that controlling your mind when losing would be something that needs to be kept in check but didn't think that it would be something I need to watch out for more so when winning!

I think it has a lot to do with some of my play in the past too, I think I get a little bit too cocky at the tables when I am winning and start to make loose calls.

I ended that session after 728 hands with a profit of 42$ (over 4 buyins) so it did work out!

I did make a couple of funky calls towards the end though so I probably did lose out on a 5 buyin hawl by being stupid.

I think your right, it is so important to detach yourself from the money when its at the table!
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      You can Tilt when you are winning also, I think that is in the psychology articles on this site. When you are winning try not to acknowledge the fact that you are Up so many buy-ins for the session because as many people have said poker is one long session and one set of results means nothing when you apply them to a lifetime of poker history. :)

Welocme, good luck and congratulations on your decent session ;)
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      It's a funny old game.

I need to play more on my tracked account so I can get silver rank to see more of the articles!!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      The poker mindset is a great book :) .
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Primzi
      The poker mindset is a great book :) .
      Is it really that good?! I've been reading these forums quite a lot since I joined up and it keeps popping up! Any poker related purchase would have to come out of my noob bankroll and with the prospect of paying for HEM after the trial period runs out next week I am hesitant!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Yep, it really is that good. And just a reply to OP: until you can play A-game and there are fish at the table, you should play.