Limping VS Not Limping

• BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Hi All,

Just wanted some opinions on limping. I never limp if I’m in a pot my action is raising or calling a raise/3 Betting.

This makes it hard to play cards like connectors and low pocket pairs, especially in tournament I find my self throwing away these cards.
  • 6 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Tournament or cash game? FR or SH? SSS or BSS or deep stack?

For example, in cash game, if u limp early with a small PP and > 100BB it usually happens when you know there is an aggressive player sitting behind you with > 100BB who will often 3bet u if you OR, therefore you limp and play the hand for set value.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Never open limp... EVER!
    • SiXAT
      SiXAT
      Bronze
      i limp behid limpers pretty loose, or if i know its a table full of fish i limp wil speculative hand to get paid off postflop.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      Never open limp... EVER!
      never is a strong word.

there are definitely spots were open limping is optimal, but they are rare and open raising is almost always the more optimal play in any case. especially with small pocket pairs - if you open limp from EP with a small pair you turn your hand face up to any competent player and they'll exploit the shit out of it.

cliffs - just raise when you want to open a hand, dont bother wasting your time finding the rare spots where open limping is profitable because it'll barely affect your winrate anyways.
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Hey All,

Thanks for the opinions I have been incorporating some limping into my game, Ill limp with hands like PPs (22-99), 109, JQ etc in late position, and it seems to be working well so far.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yeahyoung0312
      For example, in cash game, if u limp early with a small PP and > 100BB it usually happens when you know there is an aggressive player sitting behind you with > 100BB who will often 3bet u if you OR, therefore you limp and play the hand for set value.
      It's hard to get value OOP with set... :(

I prefer to raise 22+ first in BSS FR+SH at any position (or the table must be very loose).

T.