SSS preflop raise from blind

• Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      When playing SSS and the strategy says something like 'raise 4 BB'.

Now if from a blind, do you:
      1) add these 4 bets to the blind u put in already
      2) add 3 bets to your blind (or 3.5 when on SB), this counting for a total of 4 bets?
  • 8 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Floating!

I vote for 2) ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • rrwillem
      rrwillem
      Bronze
      When raising from the blinds you have to add 1 more though, right puschkin? For being out of position.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      No, that's not correct. For example: You have a $0.5/$1 game. You are in the big blind. If you raise you make it $4 total like you would have done it in middle or late position.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      So, it's to 4,5 BB from UTG or UTG+1, to 4 BB for all other positions and to 3,5 BB from CO or BU (as stated in undercover82's video) ?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Well, according to undercover82 video you have to add 1 BB to compensate for bad position. He was on the BB while explaining it, but I guess bad position means SB, BB and UTG UTG+1. He also explained that he rises 3,5BB from late to reduce losses from failed steel attempts.

I also read about extra BB somewhere in instructional hands on russian forum (basically they are translated from german). There german coach was also saying that you have to add 1BB for bad position, but with remark that you should do it only if you are experienced enough on the postflop.

The thing I don`t really understand is how this compensation works. I am reading Phil Gordon`s little greenbook at the moment, there author suggest the opposite. Of course, the book doesn`t cover SSS)) but what he proposes makes much more sense for me.

Early - 2.5-3.0 BB
      Middle - 3.0-3.5 BB
      Late - 3.5-4.0 BB
      SB - 3 BB

Reasons for that:

- I commit fewer chips to the pot when I am out of position

(quite reasonable, playing out of position is big disadvantage, by investing less in worse situations we are minimizing our losses I guess )

- A smaller raise from early position encoureges opponents to play against me when I have a powerhand

(Author also adds that if he feels that table is to loose he returns to the original 4BB bet or even bigger. I noticed myself that if the table getting tigther I see quite often all table folding to my 4BB bet from UTG)

- Bigger rises from late position put real pressure on remaining players to fold and make it harder for blinds to re-raise.

(True I guess)

- when I`m playing in position, there is more money in the pot.

(Also makes sense)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be great if somebody could explain why two experienced players suggest doing absolutely the opposite. Because I do not think they are mistaken, i guess there is just something I don`t know)
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      nice point u have there,

guess we have to push the button here for the judge to have another look at this tread
    • Floating
      Floating
      Bronze
      ie if i find that button here :-s
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      .... but with remark that you should do it only if you are experienced enough on the postflop.

The thing I don`t really understand is how this compensation works. ...
      That's why we recommend to raise always 4BB. If you don't have enough experience, you will lose money in the long run.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81