How often should I fold QQ or AK??

• happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      I am on a huge downswing. I have been playing great actually and at 5000 hands was up $50 or 100% from my poker strategy free money. Now at 12,000 hands I am just above my original $50. I have lost $25 in the last 2 days of playing, mostly on Ak and QQ hands. 2 days ago I lost with Ak 5 times! I also lost with QQ as someone came up with AA on that same hand. O k this can happen, but for it to all be bunched together on the same day of play is ridiculous!! I lost $18 on this day becuase I just didnt believe that I would just keep losing on luck alone! AFter all the whole idea behind SSS is that you are only playing when you have a huge equity advantage before the flop. Playing with the lose players that are on Party poker on .05/.1 I should have balanced out. No way!!!!!! So today I came back thinking no problem I will win something today. Everything started out cool too as I was up more then $8. Then I started getting the QQ hands. 4 in a row that I lost every one! Then I lost with KK as well. The first QQ hand I raised and played as normal everything looked good, but my opponent had KK. O k this can happen sometimes and I have been having a great day so far so I am not worried. Next hand though I riase with QQ get raised so 3 bet to all in as required by strategy. My opponent turns over A T. Yikes!! except for the board is 6 A 8 J T. Third time I play QQ again and my villian turns over AK with an ace on the board. Last time was by far the worst, but it was my fault that I lost more money this time at least. I raised as normal before the flop and got called by 1 villan Flop came down 3 hearts. Villan bets but small so I Raise a little but he calls. Turn is a non card so goes check check. then the last card is also a blank. Villan raises huge so it looks like a bluff, so I call even though my read is that it is fake bluffing trying to get a call. Of course he turns over K 2 of hearts for the flush on the flop! Yikes. AFter that I lose with KK as someone called me with 22 and hit the set on the flop. O k that is not so bad but the 4 times in row with QQ is very hard to swallow!! I did win a good hand back with AK so I am only down $5.40 so far today, but still!
      How often should I be mucking AK and QQ which seem to be hugely vulnerable at this level over and over. I am down to $54 now just $4 over my initial stake money from pokerstrategy and feeling very tilted and frustrated! I only play SSS so as to build up my bankroll to have enough to play BSS later when I have enough money in the account. It seems as if I am incorrect and should be playing something else to build up my initial bankroll!
  • 7 replies
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      never fold QQ or AK at micro SSS
    • happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      WEll that is my thinking also, but look at my results in two days of playing aggressive with Ak and QQ!!! Equitywise it is foolish to throw them away, but money results speak to something else and I cannot believe I am just the most unlucky person on the planet!!!
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by happyteerak
      but look at my results in two days of playing aggressive with Ak and QQ!!
      two days doesn't quite qualify as long-term
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      it's SSS. Expect high variance.

Pokerstrategy's BRM plan sucks. <50 buyins for SSS is suicide. Probably more like 70 buyins are better.

Never fold AK or QQ in the micros. Needs repeating. I never fold JJ in the micros either.
    • happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      I perfectly understand the math involved! This is why I am still playing, but I am questioning when to know what to do. After all it is really about the money in the end. We count good players as ones that win the most money. In these 2 days of playing I am above 1600 hands so it is not a super small sample either! I am believer in the maths involved in deciding the SSS that is why I chose to use that to build up my bank roll from the $50 to the required conservative BRM I needed to play the same level at BSS. Just wonder what to think about being all the way back down to my original $50 after playing 12,000 hands? This is not a too small sample to justify my questioning here what I am doing wrong!
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

1600 hands is still quite small. You can easily loose 20 BI's (I did that multiple times in 1600 hands). Never fold QQ AK on micro's. On higher it is can be a very close fold SOMETIMES. Most of the time its a no-brainer.

Just keep on going, post hands and you will be ok ;)

T.
    • happyteerak
      happyteerak
      Bronze
      I plan to keep going of course!! I love the challenge of poker, but I wonder what I can be doing wrong. I challenge anyone to say I am not playing SSS as well as anyone possibly can 95% of the times. I am stealing too when possible so to increase my win rates. The times I am losing any real money is when I am playing perfectly correctly and just unluckly losing as I mentioned before in this thread! Wondering if it is just better to play BSS and risk more because I don't have the bankroll for this yet. At the same time though I wouldnt play much differently with these hands in BSS anyways. I will post some hands once I figure out how to pull them from elephant to post here.