What has worse swing for poker

• onepark
      onepark
      Bronze
      Hi Everyone,

I've been playing Poker for almost a year, I slowly (VERY SLOWLY) grow my bankroll now I have around $300.

Ive been playing SNG very often but like some of the threads I am having down swings...

I know any type of poker has downswings HOWEVER just wondering from your experience what are the worse type of poker you face downswing?

from My experience

1. RUSH!
      2. MTT,
      3. Ring
      4. SNG..

Just wondering what will be the best game to grow my bankroll?? I know it will be all depends on the person but just like to know :)

Thanks!
  • 13 replies
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      my random guess would be rush just cause u can lose about 10-20 bi's within a minute,apart from that,variance is variance bro,no matter what u choose to play
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      1. MTT
      2. SNG
      3. HU Cash
      4. RUSH 6max
      5. Ring 6max
      6. RUSH FR
      7. Ring FR
    • onepark
      onepark
      Bronze
      wow MTT and SNG is more swinggy than rush?????
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by onepark
      wow MTT and SNG is more swinggy than rush?????
      Hell yeah! :s_evil:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      1. MTT (like 300 MTTs straight down I think with only one decent cash)
      2. FL (550BB)
      3. SNGs

1 and 2 are very arguable, FL can be sick...
    • h0m1e
      h0m1e
      Bronze
      I play rush but I also think that mtt and sngs are the most swingy
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Rush MTT's should be about the sickest game you can find on the internet.

Let's say you play 4/hour, 6 hours/day, 5 days/week. 120/week.

A 1000 games breakeven stretch would take over 2 months! (3000 breakeven stretch possible). Let's not speak about 100BI downswings :) .

MTT - use your imagination.
      SNG - 50-70BI, i had 100BI but i think i wasn't able to beat the limit.
      NLHE/FL - i don't know they aren't my main game. (6 max more swingy).
      DON's
      HU SNG. - 20BI should be the maximum one would expect.

In theory there shouldn't be a difference between normal NLHE and Rush NLHE variance, except just a bit more variance assuming in rush your winrate would be smaller.

However, don't forget the less swingy the game, the more regulars you will find. Everyone loves a low variance game.

That's way you'll find a lot of fish in huge MTT's, and see shark infested DON tables. You need to find a balance.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Rush variance is higher just because you play many more hands than in normal ring games. What you would expect over a month's time in normal ring you can get in Rush in a matter of days.
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Rush variance is higher just because you play many more hands than in normal ring games. What you would expect over a month's time in normal ring you can get in Rush in a matter of days.
      How do you explain that? The variance should surely be kinder over a larger number of hands seen as the more you play the more it evens out. Its just a statistical fact that the more data points you have the more likely you are to get a true result.

If your playing more hands per hour and you are on a downwing it will happen quicker but playing more hands does not increase variance it reduces it.

And if I have missed the point I am in trouble seen as I am a post-grad in applied statistics lol
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      ring fr is last erg no wonder
    • Joenaes
      Joenaes
      Black
      rush fr is definately the least variance
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Shouldn't variance be the same over the same amount of hands?? It happens quicker in rush because you're playing more hands. So technically speaking, a winning player should win quicker also.

and just a side note (cos I feel like telling someone) I lost 6 times with pocket kings today and it was never to pocket aces.. oh well :) BRM
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      WCOOP is on the top of the list :f_biggrin: