This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] pushing in straight draws and overcards on the flop

• cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $10.05
      BB:
      $6.10
      MP2:
      $13.66
      MP3:
      $16.99
      CO:
      $13.83
      BU:
      $9.65

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.8) 9, Q, T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BB raises to $0.80, Hero raises to $6.50, BB calls $4.90(All-In).

Turn: ($13) 3 (2 players)

River: ($13) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $13.

i thought that he was very often going to have something like 2 pair or a top pair with a draw there. i thought that i was likely to be a good with the nut OESD and overcards and the backdoor flush draw. how could i have played this hand better? call the flop? lead on the turn? or check call the turn?
  • 3 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      I see 1 overcard I do not see overcard's'.

Plus if BB had AQ your only overcard is counterfeited. So is the case against a set.

So you are really just playing for a straight here. 8 clean outs, and if against a set there is always the redraw even if you made your straight on turn. Villain might have already made the NUT straight with KJ so you are playing for a draw with just 3 outs.

Plus BB's short stacked so there is not much to win with a straight.

I would fold on the flop here. Against a full stack I might do something different depending on the villain's type. But in general OESD is not a hand to go broke with.
    • psydreamer
      psydreamer
      Bronze
      if he call preflop with 22-JJ it's a coinflip
      but if u add more hands to his range like KJ,AQ+ and others he get more equity
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think b/c is better on the flop
      You don´t have that great equity against hands that he is getting all-in, so better take your equity and evaluate on the turn