[NL2-NL10] NL5 Is this line with overpair acceptable in micros against unknowns?

• Pastala
      0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Ah, Ac
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,17, CO folds, BU calls $0,17, SB folds, BB calls $0,12.

Flop: ($0,53) Jc, 5h, 2s (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,35, BU raises to $1,58, BB folds, Hero calls $1,23.

Turn: ($3,69) 8s (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $3,69, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $3,69

The question is about the flop call. I do it (call) often against the reraise on the flop and then check fold on a big turn bet. Is it more profitable to just shove the flop on the reraise (relatively dry board)? I guess it's too cautious to fold on the flop reraise... Blockbet the turn? What can i beat here besides AJ?

The same in this example

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Ah, Ad
      Hero raises to $0,17, MP3 calls $0,17, CO folds, BU calls $0,17, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0,58) Qs, 9d, 7s (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,35, MP3 raises to $0,70, BU folds, Hero calls $0,35.

Turn: ($1,98) 2c (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1,98, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,98

What's the standart line on such boards?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

First hand calling the flop doesn't really make sense, unknown villain usually isn't bluffing when he check/pot-raises it. So really either you think he can overplay Jx/have QQ-KK and then you should shove, or you don't and you're better off folding the flop than calling flop folding turn (you're just burning money by doing that), as he sure as hell is going to shove the turn on his own very often after playing the flop like that. If you do have a read that the guy is capable of bluffing like that on the flop, bet/call flop check/jam any turn.

Second hand is different because the raise is a lot smaller, so he needs to be bluffing way less often for you to be ahead of his overall range. Also the board is way drawier, so if he's capable of raising with draws you want to get all-in on the flop rather than giving him a chance to get there for cheap, especially when you're out of position and thus have to act first on the turn. Unknowns can have Qx as well for whatever reason, so when in doubt I'd go broke on that flop by 3-bet/calling, tho if you don't think your opponent doesn't mess around with top pairs nor draws it's by no means a mandatory stack off.

Hope it helps.