[NL2-NL10] NL5 playing overpair on the turn against unknown

• Pastala
      Pastala
      Bronze
      Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Kh, Kc
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,17, CO calls $0,17, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0,41) Jh, 7d, 6s (2 players) (Comment)
      Hero bets $0,3, CO calls $0,30.

Turn: ($1,01) 9d (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,7, CO raises to $1,70, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2,41

What to do here on the turn? The turn is pretty bad card in my opinion. Straight draws, two pair gets there. Go broke? My mentality is not to loose 100bb with just one pair. Is it a leak in my game in micros?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's a leak everywhere really, as having fixed rules like that won't lead you to playing good poker. Against some players it's an easy bet/shove on the turn because they're aggressive enough to overplay pair+draw hands, flush redraws or even simply top pair, against others it's a snap bet/fold because they'll never raise you with worse. You can't correctly answer the question "Shoud I fold top pairs / overpairs to a raise?" because it's only half the problem, the correct answer is "Against whom?".

Here we don't have a read on villain and we don't even have his stack size to rely on, so I'd say when in doubt there are enough players out there capable of playing stuff like 98/JT/J8 the same way for you to felt your KK. If for any reason you think he's tight, just fold.

Hope it helps.