UTG+1: $2.00
      MP: $2.00
      Hero (CO): $5.41
      BTN: $1.64
      SB: $1.95
      BB: $1.97

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K:heart: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.08, BTN raises to $0.28, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.59, 2 players) A:diamond: T:club: J:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.59, 2 players) T:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.36, BTN calls $0.36

River: ($1.31, 2 players) Q:spade:
      Hero bets $1.25, fold

I was gonna check raise the flop but they checked behind. Think I should have bet smaller on the river, because worse hands might have called a smaller bet.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

You don't beat enough value hands to check/raise the flop in my opinion. AQ is the only hand you beat likely to bet/continue on that flop after 3-betting preflop. 8 combos of those, 7 combos of TT/JJ/AA he could play exactly the same way. Stuff like Jx/Tx/QQ/KK will likely check behind the flop, and even if they bet, they're not calling a raise most of the time. Bluffs will c-bet/fold as well. So I'd just check/call.

As played turn is fine, but villain's range is already very weak after checking back the flop and just calling the turn. Pretty much KK/QQ/Jx, maybe some baby Ax hands.

So on the river when KK makes a straight, QQ makes a boat and Jx is nowhere near good enough to bluff-catch, you're counting on him being really suspicious with some baby ace to get paid there, meaning unless you have a specific read making you think he'll view a huge bet as weak, you shouldn't just ~pot it. Even tho we have a straight, it's so unlikely we actually get called by a worse hand unless he's awfully bad that I probably wouldn't even bet to begin with quite often. If I do it'll be some 1/2 pot bet that Kx hands will only call for a split and maybe Jx/Ax gives us the occasional curiosity call.

Hope it helps.