Enjoying FL

• konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Hi all, I believe you will like my story...

About me in short...
      I'm from Slovakia. My real name is Jakub Konečný, I'm 19.
      I'm something like soon to like to be a mathematician. :D I represented Slovakia on IMO (International Mathematical Olympiad) this July in Kazakhstan. Don't ask me how I ended there :f_mad: But if you wish to see your country's results, check it here: http://imo2010org.kz/
      In September 2010 I'll start study Economic and Financial Matematics in Bratislava (Slovakia's capital). I'm really looking forward to it.
      I like all kind of sports but lately I'm often injured. So I read a lot and play poker.

How it all started...
      I started playing online poker in January 2010, after I ugly broke my hand and had to stay at home for about 4 weeks... I was really bored and found link to PS.com somewhere on youtube (probably somebody earned $25 already ;) ). I started playing on FTP. More or less, I played everything :) My bankroll first moved to $90, then fell again to $50. Then climbed up to $130 and fell again ... to $45. Then I won $45 in SitNGo Madness freeroll and haven't have bigeer downswing from that point. When I had about $200 I moved to PokerStars and with about $230 BR moved back to FTP when I realised that I'm still a begginner and rakeback is THE NUTS for me :D

Long time I didn't believe in PS.com articles videos and so on... I found them boring and I played generally looser than I should have played. Luckily there were even worse players so I managed a profit. Actually, I applied good BRM because I didn't want to lose my starting capital and played lowest limits to be found.

After 7 months I decided, that I will play FL Holdem. What I think of other games?

NL Holdem - I played NLH probably most, I made maybe $60 playing RUSH NL$5 SH but I was pretty lucky because I was almost $30 above All-in EV... I think that I wasn't able to improve in this game. I was making bad calls although I knew this will be a bad cal. Very bad call. Especially, I wasn't able to give up overpairs. I felt just very very bed when I lost 2-3 stacks... that's just too big swings for me.

PLO - game of suckouts. Just suckout, suckout, suckout. Only good thing is that you generate more rake than in NLH.

Stud games - I think it's very hard, maybe even impossible to play your A game on more than 2 tables. Because you have to remember cards that you saw people had on board and they already folded. I found it very hard to play at 2 tables... Although otherwise I like Stud games. Cash I liked most Razz and MTT Stud.

LO/8 - that's just strange and I think it's very boring. But I think it's very easy to cash in MTT or SnG. I played 1 MTT and cashed, 1 SnG and won (or at least was in HU) but it takes very long time and you have to play super boring tight on micro stakes. However... it might be interesting on higher stakes.

Limit Draw games... not that fishy as other Limit games and boring. No action at all.

Mixed games - I liked because they are extremely fishy :s_biggrin:

In general I find NL and PL games harder for me, because you need to have guts for it. When I played NL or PL I played scared of I might lose whole stack in one game. I feel much more comfortable playing FL. In micro FL games is to think all you need. No matter which game. :f_biggrin:

I will play FL Holdem, mainly cash, but maybe also some MTT or SnG. But SnG fill very slowly... But sometimes i will probably play also some other FL games.

I will have only one long term goal... to catch taavi1337 on his limit :)
      He because I think he is good and willing to improve and not on very high limit yet.

I think I never played FL FR (or if, then for sure <1000 hands). According to PTR I played about 7000 hands of FL SH by now, so I think I won't have problems with adapting to SH format. I didn't follow PS.com advices and wanted action. I feel fine with my postflop game so I will not move to FR. I started with FL SH $0.10/$0.20 to get used to it and I managed profit 113 BB (6.98BB/100) over 1620 hands. I'm 3 talbing and probably will be for few weeks until I start making decissions faster. Soon I will start playing FL SH $0.25/$0.50.

Now my BR is $279 and I'm clearing first deposit bonus from when I moved back to FTP. But it doesnt matter since what you have cleared is deducted from your rakeback...

I wish me good luck :)
  • 30 replies
    • Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      Great to see another slovak FL player :) What city are you from?
      Best of luck. I'll be following this blog.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Ma ruky ako krtko.

(I think).

Good luck fella. Sounds like you've got a good background for FL.

GOGOGO! :s_cool:
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tommino
      Great to see another slovak FL player :) What city are you from?
      I'm from Nova Dubnica, near Trencin.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Nice blog. I expect to see the change of title soon though, variance is sick at FL ;) . Good luck with catching Taavi, he's just a fish on a heater so it shouldn't be too hard :D .
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Wow. This morning I played probably worst session of my life. :f_mad: Lost $12.09 over 198 hands. (30.53BB/100). Tables were full of fishes and I wasn't able to catch up their luck. I think I haven't palyed bad (however nor very good) but I was overdrawn on river just too many times. 3 times top two pair crushed by river full house, once set of Aces by riverd flush, once K-high flush after freeplay by full house (Q full of 5). And once only overpair by straight. Two more hands are on evaluation forum. Tables were really fishy. Like this hand...

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, 3.
      MP2 raises, Hero folds, CO 3-Bets, BU calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (15 SB) K, 4, 7 (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP2 bets, CO raises, BU folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (11.5 BB) 5 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO bets, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

River: (15.5 BB) 6 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets, MP2 raises, CO 3-Bets, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 caps, CO calls.

Final Pot: 25.25 BB.
      Results follow:

MP2 shows a straight, eight high(8 8).
      CO shows a pair of aces(A A).
      BB shows a straight, eight high(8 K).
      SB shows a pair of tens(T T).

MP2 wins with a straight, eight high(8 8).
      BB wins with a straight, eight high(8 K).
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Hahahahaha, nice goal :f_biggrin: But I'm afraid I'm making this too easy for you as I'm probably going to the army in October for 8 months. Make sure you hit some omg-just-lost-half-of-my-bankroll downswings along your way to give me some chance.

You shouldn't worry about that so-called "bad luck", just grind your A-game and keep improving.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Who knows? Maybe you will soon work yourself up to a general and will play poker from your office :P
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      I don't feel like playing more today, so here's my today result from cash games. I played three short sessions today, first one big cooler and then I clibmbed up to almost zero :)

Plus, I played one $2+$0.25 turbo SitNGo FLH, and managed to win $9 :s_cool:
      Actually, it wasn't hard to get to money altough I suffered with my aces... lost set against nut flush.

Toghether I made about $5 profit today.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Ok. My BR is now at $284 and miss $1.60 to release another $20 from my bonus.
      From tomorrow i will move up to $0.25/$0.50.

Here's my graph from playing $0.10/$0.20.
      I have a question... how should my showdown and non-showdown lines look like? Is it common that my non showdown line is going slightly down?

• Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      Graph of winning TAG in FL looks something like this:

some have more "where's something sharp to cut my veins with"-moments, but the idea is that non-SD winnings line is just going down :) I don't know how does graph of 50/25 winning LAGs look, but my guess would be that it's not too different.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Thanks.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      I feel fine :)
      I played my first session of LH $0.25/$0.50 and managed to win almost 24 BB over 276 hands. 8.48BB/100. I think it's nice start.

But I have two things to worry about. First is, I was sitting with BIG LAG and he wasn't fish. He was thinking. probably is losing player in long run but I found myself in too many difficult spots. His stats were 81/54/1.68/51 over 92 hands. I asked for help in forum ...
      playing against LAG

Second thing is that I won $11.70 and rake from hands I won was $6.55. That's really more than very much. I think about trying looser BRM to move up faster.
      Now, I cleared another $20 from bonus and BR is $316.
    • smile101
      smile101
      Bronze
      GL with youre goals ^^
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tommino
      some have more "where's something sharp to cut my veins with"-moments,
      Slicing arteries is far more accurate (and efficient FWIW). :f_p:
    • Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      xD , thanks, will keep that in mind :D
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Today, two things makes me proud of myself.
      First... Dawnfall26 started his evaluation with words "nice answer konkey" :s_cool: I feel really good.
      Second... river pure donk bluff worked after strange hand. At first i misclicked preflop and then... I think i palyed it terribly but after his turnbet something in my head kicked me and told me : Dude, call it? And then I instabetted A on river. Something like figure of "my devil and my angel on the other side of head" like in animated fairy tales often happen...
      Soon after it I decided that it's time to stop :D

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, T.
      MP3 calls, CO folds, BU raises, Hero calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8, 3, J (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, BU checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 4 (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, BU bets, Hero calls, BB folds, MP3 folds.

River: (6 BB) A (2 players)
      Hero bets, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: 6 BB.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Today I had winrate of 4.90BB/100 over 786 hands. But I caught big heater on the end. In other words, I won $19.25 but what really disappoints me is rake from hands I've taken is $14.55. Maybe I'll start looking over the wall to $0.50/$1 when my BR will be $400. Here's my graph
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Well, this morning I had mood to MTTs, I logged on and saw The Ferguson on late reg. So I registered in last level to late reg (100/200) and with starting stack 1500 was one suckout on LO/8 enough to leave me with 2BB and soon i was gone...
      Then I played $3 HOSE tournament and was running good, 53 man field, 6 places ITM. I was slight chipleader when 12 or 13 people were left. Then in Stud Hi hit straight vs loose chipleader in that moment with flush with 3 hidden cards so I really didn't expect to be worse and more than half of my stack was gone. After I failed to kick off shortstack with good starting hand in Stud/8, I was left shortstack and soon finished in 10th place :(
      Doesn't matter. Still, I'm in green today, During these tournaments I played 1 table cash and won something and won $2 HU razz SnG.

What's more important... I decided that I want to believe that it's bad to be result oriented. So I won't post here result of each cash session or day just to praise myself. I will post here my feelings and something similar. I will post size of my bankroll once in week - in fridays evenings after I receive rakeback. And maybe also weekly summary of my plays. Do you think it's good idea or I should do something more not to be result oriented that much?
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by konkey
      What's more important... I decided that I want to believe that it's bad to be result oriented. So I won't post here result of each cash session or day just to praise myself. I will post here my feelings and something similar. I will post size of my bankroll once in week - in fridays evenings after I receive rakeback. And maybe also weekly summary of my plays. Do you think it's good idea or I should do something more not to be result oriented that much?
      There we go! First step in mindset improvement :f_thumbsup: . It's very good that you try not to be result-oriented.

You can also block your BR at the tables with HUD, so you can't see how much you've won or lost. Activate the auto-topup to 12 BB and don't check the cashier or graph while playing.