[NL2-NL10] Two pair vs. turn aggression

• meridius
      I'm unsure about my play on the turn. Was it ok, or do you suggest being more carefuj?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, A.
      3 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.8) A, 4, 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, SB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.6) J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.10, SB raises to $2.20, Hero raises to $8.12, SB calls $8.12, Hero calls $1.54.

River: ($21.58) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.58.
  • 3 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      Interesting hand.

SB limp/call, then ch/c, then ch/raise...

This is where read and stats are helpful. Or else I don't know why is he going this crazy about the J... AJ would have raised preflop for most players. My guess is he had a monster on flop and slow played well... Hard to tell...

You can call that mini raise on turn and then this river card can bail you out. If river is a blank and SB donks really hard, you can also fold. You had position so you can always try to pot control and proceed cautiously. Top-bottom 2 pairs is not a decent hand to go broke with, except when you already know SB will go crazy with something like AT in this kind of spot.

I am very curious about what villain had though. I guess 66 or AJ or 44. If he had AQ/AK then he is exploitable.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Hard to say without reads, we could really do anything on the turn. Straight up folding against nits, just calling to induce against blind warriors likely to mess around in blind battles, felt it against bad/spazzy players that are doing that with worse hands they feel are the nuts.

If he's often limp/calling I'd probably just call the minraise and reevaluate on the river, as usually these players aren't check/minraise worse hands for value and they're rarely (semi-)bluffing either.

Hope it helps.
    • meridius
      Thank you both for your comments.

I didn't have any specific reads on the villain nor many hands at the time of this hand (something like 50). The stats seemed to be quite standard, something like 25/10/2.0 (I can't take a look in PT right now).

Villain had AJ, which I did not expect due to limp/call at all. Now I have a note, he's done the same to me with AJ once more5. Anyway, I could have saved some money by just calling the turn - he would definitely bet river again and I would be forced to fold.