nearly broke.

• Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      hey, I`m posting this, because I feel stupid, and need to punish myself in public.

I have nearly lost my 50 dollar starting money now. first I tried the sss, which went ok, but after a downswing to about 40 dollar, I did not want to play the sss anymore, so I went playing sng`s. I played on the 6 man 5 dollar buyin sng's, and it went realy well. I got my stack up to 90 dollars in a few games. I felt confident, and was sure I was able to handle the limit easily. I lost a few games, mainly by players drawing out on me, or set over set. I went back to about 50 dollar.

then I saw a 5 dollar buyin tournament, with 4K gdt prize money. only 80 players registered yet, so I had to take a shot. after losing my stack, I found out it was a rebuy tournament. and since the players were really bad, I bought in for another 5 dollar. I played realy well, top 10 of the tournament in no time. then there was the add-on break, which I also bought, to not lose my chip lead compared to most players. I ended up out of the money.

I decided to take a break, no poker for about a week.

when I started playing again, I continued playing on the 5 dollar sng's, since I had a ROI of about 200% there. but then the worst thing so far happened to me. my internet connection failed. I was playing at 4 tables at once, so there went another 20 dollar.

so now my stack was back to 15 dollar. and stupid as I was, I played another 2 5 dollar buy-in tournaments, ended up losing both, bringing my bankroll to about 5 dollar, which I am now playing 10 cent buyin tournaments with.

you can all throw tomatoes at me

Mashadar
  • 9 replies
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      *throws tomatoe on Mashadar*

Its your own fault. You need at least 30 Buy-ins reserve, when you play SnG. For $5 it would be $150, and still it is absolute minimum. Most people recomend having 50BI reserve.
      For multi-table tournaments it is 100BI ($500 for $5 Buy-in`s), and even more for rebuy tournaments.

You won first, you won second, and then a loosing streak comes... and after losing 10 SnG`s you`re broke. Its not a good way of bankrool management. For a beginning, you should stick to micro-limit full-ring games.

Loosing $10 is not to big loss for SSS. I had downswing of 20-30 BI ($100-$150, `cos I play NL$25), and belive me: you will get that money back, if you play good (I did). Just stick to the strategy articules in 100%.

I hope, you will learn that lesson well
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      yes, I`m working on getting 50 dollar TaF bonus, also I am subscribed to the TaF freeroll upcoming sunday. and planning to stick more to a bankroll management. starting with 1 dollar full ring sng's since I like sng more than cash games. I did learn my lesson, by not being able to play poker now. its just hard, when you know you can beat the limits. I hope your tomatoes will give me an extra insight to my bad bankroll management. and I hope I can control myself better, should I get a 2nd chance.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      playing a 2$ tournament is fine for rewarding yourself in a weekend for getting from 50 to 100 in a week or something, but buying in so big is wasting money, the players on higher limits are more experienced, especially on the final table.

Most important: Don't be tempted by guaranteed prizes, they almost always make enough participants to make the prize even higher, and pokerrooms don't make these tournaments to give away money.
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      Well, I hope you will get back to poker soon.
      With $50 bankrool playing $1SnG sounds fine to me, but make sure, you know something about proper strategy.

Remember: Play very tight early (high pockets, AK, AQ, sometimes low pockest & suited connectors when there`s a good opportunity), and spend that time on reading opponents. During a game loosen step-by-step. When on boubble (4 players left on full ring, 3 left in short-handed) play crazy LAG, but don`t go all-in with trash.

Hope it will help you :)
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mashadar
      its just hard, when you know you can beat the limits.
      Which limits? How do you know you can beat them?
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      beginners table 6 man 5 dollar buyin sng.
      I know this, because these players are almost all donkeys, and I have already quite some experience in tournament play. I play live every Saturday, for a 15 dollar buyin, and make the top 3 place almost always and I have read HoH 1,2,3 which I also use in my play. I`m not saying I never make mistakes, but I estimate my skill level higher than 5 dollar beginners tables.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      If that is true, then why dont you stash 150$ on your account? Gives you no obligation to lose it all, and gives you a deposit bonus after playing some.
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      the main reason for that, is that my wife doesn't want me to :P .
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      o, it's like that, well, then i should stick to a bankrollmanagement, but it might be to late for that. S&g = 30 buy ins, mtt 100, rest i don't know.