This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

nearly broke.

• Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      hey, I`m posting this, because I feel stupid, and need to punish myself in public.

I have nearly lost my 50 dollar starting money now. first I tried the sss, which went ok, but after a downswing to about 40 dollar, I did not want to play the sss anymore, so I went playing sng`s. I played on the 6 man 5 dollar buyin sng's, and it went realy well. I got my stack up to 90 dollars in a few games. I felt confident, and was sure I was able to handle the limit easily. I lost a few games, mainly by players drawing out on me, or set over set. I went back to about 50 dollar.

then I saw a 5 dollar buyin tournament, with 4K gdt prize money. only 80 players registered yet, so I had to take a shot. after losing my stack, I found out it was a rebuy tournament. and since the players were really bad, I bought in for another 5 dollar. I played realy well, top 10 of the tournament in no time. then there was the add-on break, which I also bought, to not lose my chip lead compared to most players. I ended up out of the money.

I decided to take a break, no poker for about a week.

when I started playing again, I continued playing on the 5 dollar sng's, since I had a ROI of about 200% there. but then the worst thing so far happened to me. my internet connection failed. I was playing at 4 tables at once, so there went another 20 dollar.

so now my stack was back to 15 dollar. and stupid as I was, I played another 2 5 dollar buy-in tournaments, ended up losing both, bringing my bankroll to about 5 dollar, which I am now playing 10 cent buyin tournaments with.

you can all throw tomatoes at me

Mashadar
  • 9 replies
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      *throws tomatoe on Mashadar*

Its your own fault. You need at least 30 Buy-ins reserve, when you play SnG. For $5 it would be $150, and still it is absolute minimum. Most people recomend having 50BI reserve.
      For multi-table tournaments it is 100BI ($500 for $5 Buy-in`s), and even more for rebuy tournaments.

You won first, you won second, and then a loosing streak comes... and after losing 10 SnG`s you`re broke. Its not a good way of bankrool management. For a beginning, you should stick to micro-limit full-ring games.

Loosing $10 is not to big loss for SSS. I had downswing of 20-30 BI ($100-$150, `cos I play NL$25), and belive me: you will get that money back, if you play good (I did). Just stick to the strategy articules in 100%.

I hope, you will learn that lesson well
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      yes, I`m working on getting 50 dollar TaF bonus, also I am subscribed to the TaF freeroll upcoming sunday. and planning to stick more to a bankroll management. starting with 1 dollar full ring sng's since I like sng more than cash games. I did learn my lesson, by not being able to play poker now. its just hard, when you know you can beat the limits. I hope your tomatoes will give me an extra insight to my bad bankroll management. and I hope I can control myself better, should I get a 2nd chance.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      playing a 2$ tournament is fine for rewarding yourself in a weekend for getting from 50 to 100 in a week or something, but buying in so big is wasting money, the players on higher limits are more experienced, especially on the final table.

Most important: Don't be tempted by guaranteed prizes, they almost always make enough participants to make the prize even higher, and pokerrooms don't make these tournaments to give away money.
    • Eclipt
      Eclipt
      Bronze
      Well, I hope you will get back to poker soon.
      With $50 bankrool playing $1SnG sounds fine to me, but make sure, you know something about proper strategy.

Remember: Play very tight early (high pockets, AK, AQ, sometimes low pockest & suited connectors when there`s a good opportunity), and spend that time on reading opponents. During a game loosen step-by-step. When on boubble (4 players left on full ring, 3 left in short-handed) play crazy LAG, but don`t go all-in with trash.

Hope it will help you :)
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mashadar
      its just hard, when you know you can beat the limits.
      Which limits? How do you know you can beat them?
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      beginners table 6 man 5 dollar buyin sng.
      I know this, because these players are almost all donkeys, and I have already quite some experience in tournament play. I play live every Saturday, for a 15 dollar buyin, and make the top 3 place almost always and I have read HoH 1,2,3 which I also use in my play. I`m not saying I never make mistakes, but I estimate my skill level higher than 5 dollar beginners tables.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      If that is true, then why dont you stash 150$ on your account? Gives you no obligation to lose it all, and gives you a deposit bonus after playing some.
    • Mashadar
      Mashadar
      Bronze
      the main reason for that, is that my wife doesn't want me to :P .
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      o, it's like that, well, then i should stick to a bankrollmanagement, but it might be to late for that. S&g = 30 buy ins, mtt 100, rest i don't know.