Overbet to represent a bluff - not working at the micros?

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      NL10

Situation 1:
      You call a raise with, say medium pair, board comes down AA7. The preflop aggressor (PFR: 12, AF: 4.1) instantly makes a double-pot bet. Whats going on here? Does he have an Ace? Probably not, right? Why would anybody overbet in a raised pot with a very strong hand, right?

Situation 2:
      You raise with AK, board comes down AJ2 suited, you make a full pot cbet, opponent shoves. Whats going on here? Did he flop a flush? Probably not, right?

So, concidering the above two lines and logical thought patterns I figured I'll try to actually overbet and over-raise with monsters to represent a bluff and piss my opponent off so they would get the chippies in to punish me... That is, I shove when I actually flop a flush, I make an overbet with very strong hand to make it look like a bluff, etc.

And you know what, over many attepts - IT DOESN'T WORK! Am I overthinking here or what? When I hit AA7 flop with my AK and make an overbet a thinking player would regard it as an attempt to push him out of the pot, right? But instead they fold and mumble something about me always hitting the right cards. WTF is that... And I'm very aggressive and bluff a lot. So, whats youre opinion, should I just drop the whole thing and make ordinary value bets?
  • 12 replies
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Well this is just your thinking :) you give your opponents a reason to play tight and they do so...
      I would understand an overbet on the river but on the flop it's just isolating yourself to better hands...
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      the question you should ask is what kind of hands do you expect them to catch your bluff with. and the next question you should ask is, would folding be much better than risk so much $$$ to bluff catch, since anway the fold button is one click away.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Don't out level microstakes man.

1) Value Bet
      2) Don't Bluff
      3) No fancy/slow play.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      if anything overbet wanting them to call!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Situation 3.

I post in this thread. But why? Why do I have to do so? What's going on here? Did I forget to flush? Probably not, right? Am I really confused or am I just trolling?

Discuss
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Oh and they don't call your overbet on AA7 because they don't have a thing ldo.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      You wouldnt push with mid-pair against 20/12/4.1 opponent?

P.S. Try to take it easy, I'm just a fish gazing at the NL10 world of wonders.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      You wouldnt push with mid-pair against 20/12/4.1 opponent?

P.S. Try to take it easy, I'm just a fish gazing at the NL10 world of wonders.
      Pushing on AA7 is like the worst option w midpair if you think your opponent is bluffing because he obv can't call an all in w a bluff so you kinda end up turning midpair into bluff when not folding out anything better.

And no, I'd just give up, no point in guessing what your opponent thinks for stacks with total bluffcacher also 20/12 isn't anything crazy. (fwiw your gap between vpivp/pfr looks kinda big too, try fixing it imo)

Also there's no point for you to be overbet bluffing here when 2/3 or 3/4 sized bets will get you tons of folds on such board anyway. Try overbetting w monster in spots where you think your opponent is likely to be strong himself like have a two pair/trips (on river usually) or if all draws missed on river and you expect your opponent to have a TPGK or better, ppl won't fold such stuff @ NL10 in these spots vs overbets imo.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Pushing on AA7 is like the worst option w midpair if you think your opponent is bluffing because he obv can't call an all in w a bluff so you kinda end up turning midpair into bluff when not folding out anything better.

And no, I'd just give up, no point in guessing what your opponent thinks for stacks with total bluffcacher also 20/12 isn't anything crazy. (fwiw your gap between vpivp/pfr looks kinda big too, try fixing it imo)

Also there's no point for you to be overbet bluffing here when 2/3 or 3/4 sized bets will get you tons of folds on such board anyway. Try overbetting w monster in spots where you think your opponent is likely to be strong himself like have a two pair/trips (on river usually) or if all draws missed on river and you expect your opponent to have a TPGK or better, ppl won't fold such stuff @ NL10 in these spots vs overbets imo.
      Ok. Roger that.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze

WTF is wrong with you? This is like your 3rd helpful post this week?! :f_eek:
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Nope, he's mocking me. That's a positive.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum

He asked politely