[NL2-NL10] k8

• mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      this kind of thing was happening all day today. maybe i should have checked the turn, i dont know...sometimes i do, sometimes i bet..

why did he check it? what does he have so he checks?! ...drives me crazy :/

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $9.35
      Hero:
      $16.49

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:spade: , 8:spade:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.35, CO folds, Hero calls $0.35, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.85) 3:diamond: , K:diamond: , 9:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.35) 4:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $1.50, MP3 raises to $4.50, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.35
  • 4 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      IMO:

3b or fold preflop. and with K8s, Fold > 3b.

Ch turn for pot control IMO. Not much to protect there. Then you can just call river bet if the bet size is reasonable. If you don't win at least you collect a lot of information about villain.
    • mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      Yah, that would be my standard. I do sometimes bet though. But what could he have had there...stuff that makes sense is 44, 34, maybe K4...
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mariaprodanova
      Yah, that would be my standard. I do sometimes bet though. But what could he have had there...stuff that makes sense is 44, 34, maybe K4...
      As played it's REALLY hard to tell. From his stats it looks like he's a good lag player, enter pots lightly but go to SD with strong hands. I don't see a good lag player OR preflop with K4, K9 a little bit more likely.

His ch/raise on turn was quite weird indeed. If he had a set or AK or KQ on the flop he should continue to bet on turn to protect, so is the case for 34/K4.

When he checked he seemed like confident that you will bet behind, and I don't know how he could be so sure... So it is likely he's semi-bluffing with a flush draw + a pair.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd just check back K8 on the turn, I don't really see what he bets so big on the flop with that he's checking/calling here that we beat. I assume he'd bet again with a draw more often than not and check/calling with less than Kx looks dicey to say the least. If I bet I'll bet a bit smaller to make sure I don't fold out all the potential worse hands that might call me, and more often than not I'll just check it back.

The turn check/raise is odd because most people don't have much of a turn check/raising range as the preflop aggressor at microstakes, mostly because you can't count on the guys calling your c-bet betting the turn nearly often enough, be it for value with slightly worse hands or as a bluff with draws/airballs, which makes your check/raise whiff often enough that it's dominated by straight up valuebetting the turn again. That said once in a while you end up seeing a higher stakes player screwing around or some decent tag getting a bit fancy, so you'll get shown stuff like flopped sets/AK/AA anyway occasionally. I'd just fold to it anyway as played.

Hope it helps.