Am I harming my progress/education?

• matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, just a quick question:

I started out only some weeks ago and I've played mostly sit n gos. I'm reading some books about them as well. Thing is I like Rush poker as well and sometimes I like dividing my time between the two.

Just wondering if I'm doing wrong to play both as a beginner. Should I stick to one? and switch to the other after a year or so?

(side question: Why did I just receive 76cents from pokerstrategy?)

Thanks
      matt
  • 9 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      I think it's fine doing both as long as you learn about both and do not confuse between - I mean playing sngs like cash games or playing cash games like sngs.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      Originally posted by yeahyoung0312
      I think it's fine doing both as long as you learn about both and do not confuse between - I mean playing sngs like cash games or playing cash games like sngs.
      +1
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      76cent is probably rakeback. Pokerstrategy will send you money when you have been playing games with rake (basically every game). So the more games you play the more they will send you. I think its sumthin like 27% of the rake u pay. (I think thats the rate for fulltilt anyway)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Silver
      Fusion is correct it's 27% of your MGR. :)
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I look at playing 2 different style of poker like talking 2 different language. You will be able to speak 2 language but you will always be ok with both and not master one.

Also so many articles to read on different style of poker imo you should stick to one. (Tournaments are differents)
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      I look at playing 2 different style of poker like talking 2 different language. You will be able to speak 2 language but you will always be ok with both and not master one.

Also so many articles to read on different style of poker imo you should stick to one. (Tournaments are differents)
      And when can you really say/know when you've mastered one? (it's pretty easy for the ego to tell you that you're great at it :tongue: )
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by matel17
      Originally posted by stevegold87

And when can you really say/know when you've mastered one? (it's pretty easy for the ego to tell you that you're great at it :tongue: )[/quote

Well I mean when you have read all the articles from Bronze to platinum about that style of poker, and done so many hands in that kind of poker and you are profitable then you can say that you have done everything you could done to be as close as mastering that style of poker. You will never really master it since theres always to learn. But if you play 2 different kind of poker you will need to split your "studies" in 2...Do you understand what I mean?

Definally I would stick with only one kind of poker. Well I don't have time to read about Sng and cash games at the same time for example.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      I do understand and I'm following your advise and sticking with one. I was already inclined towards studying just one type - hence this thread.

So I'm going to stick with 6 max sit n gos where I'm already quite confident and have had some promising results.

:)

Thanks
      Matt
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      You can play/learn both. Whilst they are fairly separate games, there are alot of similarities. For example in a well structured tournament you are not always push fold, alot of the time you are playing 100BB deep, sometimes deeper. At this point, alot of skills that you would use at the cash table come into play, you need to know how to play postflop and extract value from your hands.

It might get confusing learning them both at the same time, but you can sure learn how to play cash, play some cash then move to SnGs/MTTs and learn the basics over there, it just means itll be a while before you find your feet and truly crush. Start playing/learning the basics of both, find which you think you are most comfortable with, crush and when you feel like it learn another variant and crush some more.