[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH JJ on scary turn card

• Pastala
      Pastala
      Bronze
      What to do on the flop? I guess going broke is not the best option. What to make of his raise? QQ maybe?

Villain:
      VPIP/PFR/AF/Hands 29/18/17/31
      WTSD/W$SD 14/0

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $5.00
      BB:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $5.05
      CO:
      $6.60
      BU:
      $4.63

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.17, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.56, BB folds, CO calls $0.39.

Flop: ($1.17) 2, 9, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO raises to $1.55, Hero calls $0.85.

Turn: ($4.27) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($4.27) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, CO raises to $2.80, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.37.
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

C-bet/calling the flop doesn't make much sense unless you believe he's capable of being pure-bluffing there. If he's not, he usually either has you crushed right there with sets/slowplayed QQ+, or he has a draw of some sort that he has committed with.

Depending on how you balance those two parts of his range, you either want to just dump it on the flop or shove over to stack draws right on the flop, as you'll very rarely be able to get away on blank turns if you can't get away on the flop so if he has sets/QQ+ you'll get stacked all the same, and if the turn is a diamond you'll have to fold since you won't beat much at this point.

As played on the river I'd either

- slowcheck the river to maybe get him thinking we were thinking about valuebetting so he's less likely to bluff at us, then fold if he bets anyway.

- try and get him off sets/QQ+ without a diamond by bluffing the river, probably around 2/3 so he doesn't get too curious.

Your minbet is way more likely to induce another bluff than if you had just checked, so it's worthless unless you plan on calling, which you can't there really.

Hope it helps.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MaestroOfZerg
      Your minbet is way more likely to induce another bluff than if you had just checked, so it's worthless unless you plan on calling, which you can't there really.
      Nice analysis as usual MOZ.

It makes me think: Is it possible that against an aggressive player, in certain occasions it would be more profitable to make a block bet on the river with the nuts than to make a value bet, just to induce an bluff push? I guess you must have seen this move before.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      It makes me think: Is it possible that against an aggressive player, in certain occasions it would be more profitable to make a block bet on the river with the nuts than to make a value bet, just to induce an bluff push? I guess you must have seen this move before.
      It can do wonders if it looks like You missed draw (at least for me)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sure, some people just can't help themselves. Minbets are generally considered bad because they're generally bad :) So don't abuse them. But there are specific situations where they're useful, primarily against:

- people who make a big distinction between betting and raising. you'll encounter fish that are capable of potting the next street into you if you check, yet they'll never raise if you minbet with the same hands. minbetting can be cool in these situations when you still have hope for your hand but you can't stand a big bet, if people are dumb enough to let you blockbet your way to incredible odds you should do it (provided it's not downright better to bet bigger, of course)

- relentless hyperaggressive players that perceive bet size as hand strength. if you check they may go "he's slowplaying maybe, or bluff-catching I don't know, maybe I should give up", whereas if you minbet they instinctively think "HE'S WEAAAAAAAAAAK" and can't stand the idea of giving him to a minbet, so they raise just because. You'll see people make the dumbest river bluff-raise/folds ever sometimes.

Hope it helps.