Wasy8, finding my niche in cash games [Now Diamond Edition]

• wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      (beware OP is definitely tl;dr)

Hai guise,

Haven't been a regular poster at PS.com in quite some time - i guess it's been about a year or so? Had a SNG blog at one point here, then left it for dead as I experimented with 6max NL cash, which was a total waste of time as I played bad and broke even with rakeback for a year. My poker study skills sucked and I blamed it on variance when clearly variance wasn't the problem.

So this past spring, I returned to SNGs, where I more or less built up my roll in the first place. Started talking to guys like lessonthree, who was a big help in improving my game, and became a regular poster on twoplustwo where I had the chance to expand my contact list and talk strat/review with some really solid players. I started at the $6.50s on FTP (my FTP account is untracked, unfortunately) and worked my way up to the $36s, while placing in the top 5 on the FTP leaderboard 3 months in a row. Which is kind of a brag, I guess, but i wasnt really making much in June/July and first half of August and was really only making money on rakeback.

Variance blows, and while there's no doubt I wasn't a perfect player by any means; I'm sure lessonthree and other midstakes SNG regs can attest to the fact that I was way better than my ROI indicated. Unfortunately BE stretches can occur over 10k game samples in SNGs (albeit they are rare). I had put in roughly 9k games over the summer and was getting pretty tired of the games. Grinding has never been a problem for me, but I was starting to lose motivation to study and that was a problem for me. The ridiculous breakeven stretch (approx. 7k games) was finally getting to me. While lessonthree certainly is a shining example of a top SNG player who has no doubt put the work in to get to where he is - the reality is that the profit ceiling in SNGs is relatively low compared to cash and MTTs and the variance can be sickening.

So halfway through August, and with enough poker winnings to cover my school expenses for my upcoming school year anyway - I figured it was time for a new challenge. I was told that the ranges in FR SNGs translated reasonably well to FR cash, so I decided that a return to cash might be in order. I played some nl25 on FTP when I started - to get the hang of things. Obviously I'm ridiculously overrolled for those limits, but it seemed to be a decent starting point. Won some, nothing outstanding, woteva.

I put some money on bet365 (now tracked on PS) to do some bonus whoring with my newfound cash game skills and what should be a softer network (compared to FTP). My first ~11k hands went pretty well - you can see for yourself.

I guess that qualifies as a heater - 24bb/100 on ipoker so far (all nl20). But damn its so much fun for for a former pushbot SNG player to play some postflop pokah! I even have a positive redline :f_eek: - I guess I like to bruff lots.

So I think I'm gonna move a bit more money over from FTP to bet365...enough for a solid cushion to grind nl50. Theres no way I could clear that bonus playing nl20. I like the software at bet365 and the player pool was insanely soft at nl20, the regs sucked and the fish were quite willing to donate their stack to me. Hoping my move to nl50 goes well too.

Congrats to anyone who actually read through my ramble - looking forward to returning to the PS community!
  • 62 replies
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      fr cash is also my game.
      will be following your blog probally.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Nice! I kinda have similiar situation (regarding saving up for school). Am strugling bit at nl25 on stars atm. But mostly cuz of ridiculus ds last mont, my conservative brm (50bi) and myself cuz I really don`t wont to move up until I crush the nl25 aquarium. I know I can, it is just that shortterm luck isn`t my best friend =P

Ur blog is under my bookmarks, just keep on updating!
      ;)

Cheers!
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Thanks guys. i5bet72o...i tried a bit of FR rush, however i can't get my HUD to work properly playing rush. it just wouldnt show up when playing. i asked around in the FTP regs thread in the micro FR forum on 2p2, was told to check off a button in HUD options, which i did, and now every rush hand i try to play it tells me it can't create a rush file.

i tried playing hudless for a while, i think i saw you in there too actually. but playing hudless in a large player pool makes me feel naked.

gregor thanks for stopping by and gl in your games too! if anyone wants to contact me on skype they are welcome to add me at wasy80 - it'd be nice to have some cash regs to discuss hands with, since the majority of my contact list is SNG regs lol.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Pretty disappointed with my first shot at nl50 on ipoker...I played pretty terrible in my 2400 hands today tbh. Some bright spots, but I spewed a lot today. Also ran terrible in allin pre confrontations for full stacks - I think I was 0/5?

AQ < 98 - he was running 90/60 lol
      AK < QQ - I squeezed from button and 33/21 had QQ obv
      AK < QQ - same guy, but BTN vs CO - we had been getting into some 3betting wars
      KK < AA - first hand random had played, he squeezes my UTG raise and fish flat, ofc has AA. turns out he was a nitbox running at 10/3
      A4 < AK - had been 3betting this guy mercilessly and he seemed to be a competent reg. so i 3-bet his CO raise 4 handed from BTN and he 4bet. i felt like it was a great spot for him to 4bet bluff in this spot since i had been 3betting him ridiculously, so i 5-bet bluff shoved and obv get snapped off by AK. not really proud of this hand, in hindsight a hand T9 is a much better hand to bluff shove with because of my image - his calling range could definitely be wider and A4o obv plays terrible against his calling range. folding pre would def be optimal here.

All in all I still ended up 2 BI and ran 3 BI below EV (which i believe is overrated, but yeah i was unlucky today in a ton of spots too). Gonna do some review tomorrow morning before I play and try to mark some reg tendencies. I finally found 2 regs that are likely better than me - they had me completely baffled postflop and I'm gonna do some research to see what I can find from pots they actually showed down.

cheers and run good everyone
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      good luck over in the CGs :)

lets hope u run better than u do at sngs.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Weird session today. I won about $250 in 2700 hands, but still ran $200 below allin EV. about $350 below allin ev at 50nl, which like I've said before I believe isn't a great indicator of how you're running, but I think its pretty accurate today with the monkeys I was playing against.

Big part of that difference between EV and actual came from the hand below:

IPoker Network $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: $9.50
      Hero (SB): $332.80
      BB: $141.36

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with K:heart: A:spade:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $2, BB raises to $15, Hero raises to $332.80, BB calls $126.36 all in

Flop: ($282.72) 7:heart: 2:diamond: Q:heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: ($282.72) 6:heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($282.72) Q:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $282.72
      BB shows Q:diamond: A:diamond:
      BB wins $280.72
      (Rake: $2.00)

Obviously the hand looks terribad without reads. But I had the guy at like 78/33 and he was a complete moron. He had a 3bet% of 17, which is pretty insane. His 3betting range was any ace, some broadway hands and pairs. Flatting OOP sucks so hard if i miss the flop. He's also shown a propensity to flat 4bets with some of the above hands, which puts me in the same position as just flatting the big 3bet. I figured he might be crazy enough to call an overshove with hands like AJ+ bvb, while getting the most fold equity out of low pairs in his range. Turns out fishcake decided AQ was good for almost 300bb. WP SIR.

I don't wanna make this blog just about me bitching and moaning about how I run all the time though, so I'll post one of my fun hands too. I have about a million monkey bluffs in my DB from today and yesterday.

IPoker Network $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players

MP2: $42.70
      MP3: $47.97
      CO: $43.06
      Hero (BTN): $64.64
      SB: $111.26
      BB: $35.39
      UTG: $41.00
      UTG+1: $63.84
      UTG+2: $57.10
      MP1: $33.38

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with 4:diamond: K:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, 5 folds, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.75) 4:spade: 7:heart: 8:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $4.00, Hero calls $4

Turn: ($12.75) 3:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $6.37, Hero raises to $15, UTG+1 folds

Final Pot: $25.49
      Hero wins $24.22
      (Rake: $1.27)

My thought process during the hand:

Preflop: I iso-raise a ton in position against almost everyone. Esp. against TAGfish who basically telegraph the fact that they have a small pair against you and are set mining. Raise pre, bet flop, take pot, ez game. If they flat or raise its pretty easy to shut down. This particular guy was 29/12 and I like playing pots against him postflop (or anyone I feel I have an edge on, fwiw).

Flop: He leads for almost pot, which is super weird. I have almost 500 hands on him so far, and I've seen him slow play his sets so I pretty much took a set out of his range. He's more than capable of leading with a pure bluff, a hand like T9, or just a pair. I would probably call the flop with a pretty wide variety of hands, the fact that I have bottom pair in the hand just gives me a bit more equity on later streets.

Turn: He leads for half the pot on a pretty much blank turn. This looks super fishy to me. It looks like a weak bet with a 7 or 8, or more likely T9. I was really feeling like this was T9. If it was a 7 or 8 though, he's definitely folding to a raise since my flop call looks pretty strong. I'm flatting there with all overpairs and sets too. So raising would just continue to tell my story accurately and help me take back the initiative in the pot if he does flat. If he flats (which would be super awkward for him OOP with the range I have him on) I get to bomb any scary river card. If he comes over the top, then I underestimated his range and get to make an easy fold. The raise size is really strong looking too, it looks really valueish out of me, like I'm trying to milk him with a set and want to protect my hand. He snap folds and take it down.

Thanks for reading guys, cheers and good luck.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Really nice thinking and explenation behind the last hand. I am just wondering how many tables do you play?
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Gregor, I play 6 tables right now - I'd like to play 9 but I work on a small laptop so there would be a fair bit of table overlap (I tile). The ipoker software isn't really great if you're not paying 100% attention either - if you're focusing on another hand it sometimes fails to let you know its your action on another table before you time out. I was a bit spoiled on FTP with tableninja i think :f_cry:

speaking of which, if anyone has a good ipoker script let me know!
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      FR tables are totally dead right now at ipoker, which sucks because I wanted to play a bit more tonight. still got almost 2.5k hands in and had my most profitable day since moving back to cash. +$427

I think a lot of the hands posted in this blog will be fun monkey bluffs or ridic hero calls. Because my ipoker SN isn't the same as here, i'm pretty confident I'm not giving anything away to someone that might be reading this. Plus I'm an attention whore and like to brag.

IPoker Network $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players

UTG: $19.57
      UTG+1: $29.93
      MP1: $12.33
      MP2: $52.37
      CO: $58.94
      BTN: $86.32
      SB: $20.10
      Hero (BB): $92.83

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with 7:club: 6:club:
      4 folds, CO raises to $1.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.75, CO calls $3.25

Not a ton of history with villain yet, but he appears to have competent stats and should be raising pretty wide from the cutoff. It's also a fun hand to resteal with since it flops relatively well if we get flatted.

Flop: ($9.75) 2:diamond: 6:heart: 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, CO calls $6

When we get flatted, I think his range is pretty strong seeing as we have no real history. The fact that I have a pair really doesn't mean much, but I'm definitely c-betting to fold out AK and AQ here. When he flats me I think his range is definitely TT+ and would be surprised to see AQ/AK turn up here. I think he'd 4-bet at least KK+ pre but a lot of good villains will flat here to balance.

Turn: ($21.75) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $14.00, CO folds

Now that we have villain on a definitive range, TT+, weighted towards TT-QQ...the ace is literally the nut turn card we could hope for that doesn't improve our hand. He knows we would always c-bet AK/AQ on the flop, so now we get to represent it and fold out his TT-QQ. There isn't a reason to make a huge bet, but anything less than half pot might make villain curious and look us up with his JJ/QQ. I might bet close to this amount if I did have AK/AQ (or check to induce, but he doesnt know that). The bet has to be enough to make villain uncomfortable and i think $14 accomplishes that.

Final Pot: $21.75
      Hero wins $20.67
      (Rake: $1.08)

SB: $19.82
      BB: $29.93
      UTG: $12.33
      UTG+1: $52.37
      MP1: $50.00
      MP2: $86.32
      CO: $19.85
      Hero (BTN): $102.50

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with J:spade: T:heart:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $1.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.75, 2 folds

Same villain as the first hand. Only about 10 hands later and I haven't been overly active since. 3-betting was considered, but he might get suspicious and attempt a 4-bet bluff. Plus 3-betting and having to fold to the half-stack looks REALLY bad for my image. So i decided flatting and using my positional advantage should be fine.

Flop: ($4.25) A:spade: 7:heart: 4:heart: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $3.00, Hero calls $3

He is c-betting this flop every time I think, since he thinks that I think I won't continue without an ace, set, or draw. Nice spot for a float, since I can rep a bunch of turn cards really profitably.

Turn: ($10.25) 5:heart: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $7.00, Hero raises to $19, MP1 calls $12

I'm pretty confident he'll bet his AJ+ here all the time, and ofc sets and maybe flushes. But a gutshot got there, as well as the obvious flush draw. A raise to $19 looks convincing that I made the flush (since I would very likely take this line with a flopped FD and the flush on the turn) and isn't big enough to commit me. I might also play a set this way. I was pretty surprised he flatted me actually.

River: ($48.25) 8:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $27.00, MP1 folds

One more card that he hates - although its unlikely the 8 changes much based on the turn play. When he checks, I really doubt he has the flush because I think he realizes I'll check back my sets on the river here. When I shove, I'm repping a big flush really hard, and it's hard for him to call even with his small flushes, which I doubt are in his range. If he calls me with a set or AK/AQ here I'm definitely taking a note to know I can't pull this line on him in the future because he's not smart enough to make the fold here with no history. Also taking a note if he calls with a flush (nut or otherwise) to know that he's capable of flatting that sort of turn. I feel like sets are a pretty huge portion of his range here that really can't call if he's competent.

Final Pot: $48.25
      Hero wins $45.84
      (Rake: $2.41)

Hope you enjoyed reading, hopefully people enjoy my analysis. If more experienced players are reading my blog, it would be nice to see analysis to make sure my thought processes are good and I'm not just spewing.

I should have my platinum status by tomorrow - that was quick, took me like a week to get from silver to platinum :s_biggrin:
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      August Results!

I don't really know why the image is coming up tiny, but the link is embedded so click it for all the juicy details.

Mostly all from the 17th forward. Not a bad haul for two weeks worth imo. Running at 25bb/100 over my first 25k hands, lets see how long into September I can continue the heater. :f_grin:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      congrats mate. awesome work. look at that sexy redline
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Fucking pissed off. ran over 10 bi below ev (while still breaking even on the day), then pretty much threw away $500 after that tilting like a fucking monkey. Gotta come back tomorrow with a professional attitude and not this ridiculous bullshit I spewed up tonight.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      fkn tilt :f_cry:
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Haven't played online yet today, but I decided to go play a bit of 200nl live to try and change it up there. Can't run good there either, lost a 200bb pot with AA to some retarded fish. Sighhhh
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Hey all, haven't posted much in the last couple of days. Didn't put any time in on ipoker on friday, as I said I played a little live 1/2 and then went to clear a $50 bonus on FTP. Went pretty well on FTP, profited $220 along with the bonus so I'm pretty happy with that. Played a bunch on ipoker yesterday and was really happy with how I played for the most part. For a good chunk of the session I really felt like I was playing my A++ game, my reads felt really solid and I was following through well on them.

My favorite hand of the session:

The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG+1: $61.61
      MP1: $50.00
      MP2: $62.12
      Hero (CO): $114.41
      BTN: $74.80
      SB: $9.42
      BB: $62.02
      UTG: $52.73

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with J :diamond: A :heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, BB raises to $5.50, Hero raises to $14, BB raises to $26.50, Hero raises to $114.41, 1 fold

Final Pot: $53.25
      Hero wins $53.25

Villain is a winning reg and we had been getting in some pretty fun 3bettting/4betting wars on several tables. When I look at this again I think I might like flatting the 3-bet, but I decided to 4-bet because 4betting is fun and I would've been happy taking it down with the 4-bet.

Then he tanks for like 5 seconds, and min-5bets. This is easily the most interesting part of the hand. When he min-5bets he makes the raise that I'm never flatting, and there isn't any difference between min-5betting and making the 5-bet a little bigger, and he gets to minimize the risk by not committing himself in the hand. I think that he thinks there's no way that I can shove without KK+ with us being deepish, and in that case he's turning KK+ into a bluff. Which means he's folding AK and QQ here, and theoretically has to fold KK here if he puts me on a range of solely KK+ although I doubt he folds KK here. Also, I have the ace as a blocker to AA which makes it extremely unlikely he's ever calling my shove. I shoved pretty quickly and he snapfolded, confirming my read. Feels good to follow through on a read in a really sick hand. So note to any ipoker regs here if there are any, don't bother getting in 3-betting wars with me 'cause I'll fuck you up. :s_cool:

I haven't even played yet today, played a round of golf with my dad and brother - which confirmed how lolbad i am at golf - but we had a fun time anyway and the weather was awesome. Then I watched my beloved bombers lose in the labour day classic against those dirty fuckin riders - this football team frustrates me to no end and it looks like Pierce (our starting QB) dislocated his elbow again near the end of the game. Poor guy is all class, hell of a leader and a great QB but has no luck on the injury front. Thank god we have a capable backup in Jyles. :heart: you bucky, get well soon

That's all for now folks, keep grind on da mind and crush souls at the tables.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      The bombers suck :) . Lets go Esks.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      The bombers suck :) . Lets go Esks.

suck it eskies.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      ya i rmbr that game. Well i hope we beat the Stamps tmrw and msg me if u want to make a sidebet on the game.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black

I wanna be an attention whore and keep my blog on the front page. So more fun hands to post!

Hand #1: Puke Folding Trips

IPoker Network $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players

UTG: $55.51
      UTG+1: $41.66
      MP: $82.09
      CO: $4.68
      Hero (BTN): $147.18
      SB: $13.50
      BB: $57.48

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with T:diamond: Q:diamond:
      2 folds, MP raises to $1.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.75, 1 fold, BB calls $1.25
      MP is a uber-nit, BB is a big fishy and I'm calling praying that fishy comes along and MP will GTFO of my way if hit something on the flop against fish. Plus it's QTs on the btn, no way I give it up anyways here since the nit lets me abuse him postflop anyway.

Flop: ($5.50) 3:diamond: 9:spade: Q:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, BB folds
      Top pair, meh. MP leads which I'm not thrilled about, but he's still c-betting TT/JJ here which I beat so I can't imagine folding TP here to one barrel. Would have to dump it to any turn second barrel from him though. Fish gets out of the way, woteva.

Turn: ($12.50) Q:club: (2 players)
      MP bets $7.00, Hero calls $7
      Oh hai der, trips. Vilain bets a little over half pot, he's either got me beat or is betting JJ/KK/AA again. Raising is retarded, no reason to turn my hand into a bluff. I'm calling with the intention of calling a reasonable river bet or valuebetting smallish if checked to.

River: ($26.50) 8:spade: (2 players)
      MP bets $23.00, Hero folds
      WTF monster pot bet. This guy is so hilariously nitty there's no way I'm ever good here. I literally lol'ed here and snapfolded.

Final Pot: $26.50
      MP wins $25.18
      (Rake: $1.32)

Hand #2: How to Induce Spaz with 5th Pair

IPoker Network $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players

Hero (BTN/SB): $331.88
      BB: $65.25

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN/SB with 4:diamond: A:diamond:
      Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $4.50, Hero calls $3
      Was playing this guy heads up after the table broke and he went spazzy on me during the headsup match. He's already donated a few stacks to me. He was 3betting like 17% and I didn't really want to 4bet, but I have position and a suited ace so meh lets see a flop.

Flop: ($9.00) 8:club: 5:heart: J:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks
      Nothing on the flop and I doubt he has much either, but I dont feel like getting check-raise bluffed so I check behind with what I think may be the best hand here.

Turn: ($9.00) 4:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6.00, BB raises to $13.50, Hero calls $7.50
      Cool, I haz a pair. He checks again, which reaffirms the fact that I think he has air. I also think if I bet he might spaz out with his air cause my line looks like air too. Which is exactly what happens. I tank a few seconds and call.

River: ($36.00) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $27.00, Hero calls $27
      Monster river bet on a 4card straight board. When he makes the monster bet he either has the straight or air. He's check/calling his sets, two pair, etc. I highly doubt he's smart enough to be thinking on a higher level than that. The only sixes in his range are 66 and A6 imo. Which is highly unlikely and if I had villain on air on the turn, I can't fold this river. So I actually fistpump snapcalled and felt damn good about it. Villain donated a total of 7 stacks to me in this headsup match today.

Final Pot: $90.00
      BB shows A:club: T:heart:
      Hero wins $89.00
      (Rake: $1.00)

Hand #3: Cold-4betting Air from the SB

IPoker Network $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players

Hero (SB): $63.45
      BB: $15.16
      UTG: $45.25
      UTG+1: $13.75
      UTG+2: $82.24
      MP1: $47.40
      MP2: $72.38
      CO: $62.68
      BTN: $38.76

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with 7:spade: 6:spade:
      2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $2, 1 fold, MP2 raises to $6.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $15, 3 folds
      Looks crazy eh? original raiser was like 22/9, and 3-bettor was 17/14 with a 6% 3bet and competent. shortie in the BB was a nit. One of these guys needs to wake up with KK+ in order to get it in with me (or thinks he does :s_cool: ). If shortie wakes up with QQ+ or whatever, then 76s plays ok against it I guess. If I don't mix up my play with shit like this, how the fuck am I ever supposed to get action when I actually do have KK+? If I 4-bet fold to one of them I get to portray a retarded image and the reg can start outlevelling himself against me.

Final Pot: $15.50
      Hero wins $15.50

I'll be the English community's next diamond member by the time the update rolls around tomorrow morning.