[NL2-NL10] JJ nl10

• mariaprodanova
      Should I have raised the flop, bet the turn? Maybe just call him down or call flop, raise turn if its a safe card...? By the river I wasn't folding I guess...

Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , J:spade:
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 raises to $0.45, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.35, MP2 calls $0.35.

Flop: ($1.40) 5:diamond: , 9:spade: , 8:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets $0.75, Hero raises to $2.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.45.

Turn: ($5.80) 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, MP3 calls $2.80.

River: ($11.40) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.55 (All-In), MP3 calls $4.55.

Final Pot: $20.50
  • 2 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      With JJ you can 3bet pre. You are ahead against MP3's OR range. And you have to isolate there as with MP2 still in the pot your JJ would be even more worthless after flop.

If you don't feel like 3betting then you play basically for set value or hoping for overcards to miss the flop. I like your raise on the flop but after MP3 calls it's a way ahead - way behind check down.

TT will not bet out anyway so you can win it safely. 9x or small pocket pairs will NOT call that raise on flop. Against any other pocket pairs (either overpairs or a set) or 2 pairs hands you were way behind with a 2 outer.
    • MaestroOfZerg

I agree about the 3-betting preflop, villain can likely raise/call lots of broadway hands that will miss quite often and he's likely to 4-bet KK+, so you're not in guessing mode too often with overpairs postflop.

As played I don't really like the flop raise, because I don't think this 26/8 guy open-raises a lot of hands that make worse pairs than JJ on that flop, so it's really thin when you add the fact that QQ+ is still very much in his range given the preflop play. Even if you get value from TT that's a third of the QQ+ combos, if he has 66/77 to call with he probably has 55/88/99 for sets as well in his range. You'd need him to like open raise a bunch of 9x/8x hands and I just don't think this is happening often. Alternatively you can raise/fold that spot if you think he'd call with worse hands and basically 3bet better hands, but if you don't have that read it's possible he just "slowplay" bet/call with everything and you'll own yourself. So I'd just call and expect him to pretty much turn his hand face up with his turn play.

As played tho when you decide to raise the flop it has to be for value, and if it is for value you have to follow through with your plan and felt it on those cards, you can just suddenly decide your flop value-raise wasn't good because you feel awkward betting the turn. If you don't want to bet turn shove river on what are mostly blanks, you shouldn't be raising the flop to begin with.

Hope it helps.