[NL2-NL10] K7s

• mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      You can tell by his stats he's pretty unpredictable... I had seen him pot it with a strong hand and with a complete bluff, with 2nd pair...whenever he felt like it. I guess I shouldn't have 3bet him, should have just called, if that even... Now I see he has 100% (5/5) on 3bet call.

On the turn I just thought "I get 2:1, need 4:1, I do think he'll pot it again and go broke if he has an A" so I called. Of course he could have A6, A5...but come on, I can always think of a hand I should fold to.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $15.44
      Hero:
      $10.14

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:heart: , 7:heart:
      MP2 raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.65.

Flop: ($2.15) A:diamond: , A:heart: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.15) 6:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $2.15, Hero calls $2.15.

River: ($6.45) T:club: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $6.45, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $6.45
  • 2 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Playing against this type of player it's usually a good idea to play tight instead of to start 3betting light. Just fold preflop.

As played you can also bet 1/2 pot on the flop and if called just chD or fold in later street.

After he bets POT on turn it's also a clear fold. You had 16% equity against Ax, that's 5.3:1 instead of the 4:1 you thought + you might already been drawing dead.

And again, the strategy against this type of player is to find a good hand and let him call down with worse hands, instead of getting into close situations like this one. Yes their money is easy money but only when you know the proper way.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Indeed, it's not a good idea to get into super marginal spots against people who don't have a good handle on. Just take solid value hands when you decide to 3-bet, which against this guy could really be as low as A8 or something frankly.

I don't really even mind the K7s 3-bet for value given that he's calling all of them, but you positively have to bet that flop then to collect the dead-money. You can't just give the initiative back to a guy who is crazy aggressive without better showdown value than K7-high which you can't realistically call down with. I mean I've made looser calldowns with the right reads but you really feel gross when you do it.

Which is why yeahyoung's comment about the turn play is wrong, yet right. It's wrong in a sense where villain will so often have nothing that he's just bluffing with because you checked back the flop that you don't need to get the right odds against his nuts hand to make the call with your flushdraw. You're ahead already quite often, and when you're not you probably have some overcard outs as well sometimes. Yet, since villain is pretty insane, it's quite likely he's going to bomb the river as well with whatever, which makes you K7-high that much less showdownable unless you're capable of committing to calling blank rivers as well sometimes.

So in the end if you're going to fold all blank rivers, you might be better off folding the turn even if you're actually getting good enough odds against his turn range equity-wise, instead of creating passive dead-money only to fold later on.

Hope it helps.