Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $13.19
      BU:
      $6.45

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.88 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , 9:diamond:
      3 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) J:heart: , T:diamond: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.45, BU calls $0.45.

Turn: ($1.75) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.95, BU calls $0.95.

River: ($3.65) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.05, BU calls $1.05.

Final Pot: $5.75
  • 5 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Bet a little bit more on the flop and after villain called just play ch/f on later streets. Nothing fancy here. You kicker does not allow you to 3 barrel.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd bet twice as well but I think the river valuebet is too thin, the only solid value left for us would be catching bluffs if he was capable of bluffing, but seeing his overall aggression that seems unlikely.

So yeah, I'd check/fold the river expecting him not to bet into me with a worse hand often at all, actually I almost don't expect him to ever bet into us for value either unless he slowplayed something big, which might actually incline me to check/call more often since "never" beats "not often at all". Weird eh. See how much he bets and reevaluate in that case then :p

Hope it helps.
    • mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      Yeah, tilt does cloud the judgement. I regret playing so badly but I'm kinda happy I see my mistakes for myself now, that probably means if I play my A-game I won't do them.

I hadn't thought about the river that way though. So you'd call a bet because you think he's never betting like QJ for value, but he might be bluffing with say...Q9? I do agree about not betting QJ-like hands but I doubt he'd be bluffing with Q9 or QT type of hands. You did say he might bet if he was slowplaying but why would that make you call?
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mariaprodanova
      So you'd call a bet because you think he's never betting like QJ for value, but he might be bluffing with say...Q9?
      Do you expect him to call river with Q9?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by mariaprodanova
      Yeah, tilt does cloud the judgement. I regret playing so badly but I'm kinda happy I see my mistakes for myself now, that probably means if I play my A-game I won't do them.

I hadn't thought about the river that way though. So you'd call a bet because you think he's never betting like QJ for value, but he might be bluffing with say...Q9? I do agree about not betting QJ-like hands but I doubt he'd be bluffing with Q9 or QT type of hands. You did say he might bet if he was slowplaying but why would that make you call?
      It wouldn't. Since I don't believe he's capable of valuebetting thin at all, even if he was only bluffing very rarely, I'd check/call assuming he's not slowplaying anything ever. Since that's unrealistic and he's probably slowplaying sometimes, we just have to weight his polarized range and decide whether it's bluff-heavy enough for us to check/call. Only the ratio matters, not the absolute numbers. If he's bluffing with only 2 combos but only slowplaying with 1 combo on average, it's a check/call unless he overbets it huge. If he's bluffing 20 combos and slowplaying 10 combos, it's still the same odds.

Obviously it's damn hard to weight his range without specific reads, but the better you get an estimating ranges based on the littlest things, the better you'll do. Once in a while you'll see some passive guy check back the nuts on the river and yet sometimes pot the river after draws busted, what do you think he has? :p They're just more likely to bluff than to valuebet, so unless they're trappy and like to slowplay big hands their river value range is incredibly tight.

Hope it helps.