Let there be range

• yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Has anyone read this book before? Why is this book priced at $1850 or something like that? Is it just a marketing strategy or a joke? I am reading one. So far it has shown some insightful thoughts, but it is EXTREMELY poorly written (compared to say Sklansky's books). Reads like random forum posts. I think reading hand evaluation forums should just be no less, if not more, helpful than reading the book...
  • 10 replies
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yeahyoung0312
      Has anyone read this book before? Why is this book priced at $1850 or something like that? Is it just a marketing strategy or a joke? I am reading one. So far it has shown some insightful thoughts, but it is EXTREMELY poorly written (compared to say Sklansky's books). Reads like random forum posts. I think reading hand evaluation forums should just be no less, if not more, helpful than reading the book...
      If you just want to build a cool paper aeroplane, you won't be reading a book on designing fighter jets. The fighter jet design manual would probably be "very poorly written" for the layman reader.

Same goes for this book. It is written for people who already have deep insights into the game and want to take their game even further. So it's probably written in a much more technical style that super advanced poker thinkers are already accustomed to. Whereas the Sklansky books are written for beginners and up.

You're just not ready for the book yet. I know i'm not :f_cool: Everything will most likely just go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head.

Don't blame the writer, blame the reader.
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82

Same goes for this book. It is written for people who already have deep insights into the game and want to take their game even further. So it's probably written in a much more technical style that super advanced poker thinkers are already accustomed to. Whereas the Sklansky books are written for beginners and up.
      Well by poorly written I basically mean the grammar and usage and the casual writing style. The concepts and strategies are understandable but probably not applicable to the limits I'm playing. Good to know how pros play though.

Sklansky actually wrote some good books, like "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" and "No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice" and I don't think these are beginners' books :P

And IMO if anyone want to price their books $1850, they better be damn well written instead of scrabbled. Seriously.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze

Well by poorly written I basically mean the grammar and usage and the casual writing style. The concepts and strategies are understandable but probably not applicable to the limits I'm playing. Good to know how pros play though.

Sklansky actually wrote some good books, like "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" and "No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice" and I don't think these are beginners' books :P
      those are seriously beginner books.. for Cole South's target market ;)
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      those are seriously beginner books.. for Cole South's target market ;)
      I think many concepts/factors Sklansky introduced in his books are no different from what Cole South introduced in his. It's just that Cole South re-invented a lot of general concepts with the idea of range and combinatorics which leads to more accurate game playing. Tho of course accuracy = profit.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      If sklanskys theory and practise is worth 50$, CTS's let there be range is easily worth 1.850$. That price came from cts's current coaching prices back when the book was written, guess it was smthing like two hours of coaching 1.85k$.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      It's that book written by a guy who has -$1mil in cash game earnings? Sure, he must be pwning the poker scene, and high price is clearly not his attempt to desperately build his roll back. :f_biggrin:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      It's that book written by a guy who has -$1mil in cash game earnings? Sure, he must be pwning the poker scene, and high price is clearly not his attempt to desperately build his roll back. :f_biggrin:
      if you are talking about Cole South then you are very wrong
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      And IMO if anyone want to price their books $1850, they better be damn well written instead of scrabbled. Seriously.
      sorry man, but i had to laugh...

It def belongs to top3 books written on 6max ever imo and if you really care about grammar and dont like the casual style of it, you're doing something wrong.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      At first I thought the same thing about Easy Game. I kept wondering why it was so short and so poorly written.

However, thank god it's short because I realized I could read the whole thing every week and that's pretty much what it takes to really start understanding the material.

Now I find the Sklansky style books to be "poorly" written because they don't get straight to the point! I want to play winning poker not read a 200 page book about it.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      At first I thought the same thing about Easy Game. I kept wondering why it was so short and so poorly written.

However, thank god it's short because I realized I could read the whole thing every week and that's pretty much what it takes to really start understanding the material.

Now I find the Sklansky style books to be "poorly" written because they don't get straight to the point! I want to play winning poker not read a 200 page book about it.
      +1 well said