Frustration: Online Gambling Ilegal in south Africa

• AllinStefk
      AllinStefk
      Bronze
      Im in such a tizz at the moment!!!

We have just been informed that online gambling and poker is now ilegal in the 'Democracy' of South Africa. All players, financial institutions, Media(online, print etc and ISP's who allow/ partake / adveruise any form of online gambling will be held liable to R10 million( about $1million dollars) in fines or face 10 years in jail!

I just cant believe that this is the case! I have invested so much time in sharpening my online game, and i really enjoy online poker compared to live poker. I find the game to be far more stimulating than the live version and truly enjoy the aspect of making friends with the online community.

Unfortunately i feel that this is just a ploy for the government to get their grubby paws on some extra cash.

What do we do now as players from SA? What did the players in France and the US do during their ban? :s_mad:
  • 22 replies
    • bringspring
      bringspring
      Bronze
      common problem in europe aswell. I estonia, were i live, it was also banned. But now things have gone forward once again. Pokerstars just got his license back. Also some smaller sites have it since summer. So don't worry. They will reach on agrement with the coverment if it is profitable for the big sites. Also for the sites that have a lot of player from SA.

In the meanwhile you can use alterantive DNS from google etc or just move : P
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I know durrrr moved to Canada while he was <21 years old in order to play. At least that's what I read in an interview. And in France people are still allowed to play but only on .fr domains. That's why some choose to move to another country. My guess is that would your best choice: back your bags and move to some European country.
    • burt123
      burt123
      Bronze
      Banned in my country too, but I use http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/ to gain access to the banned sites&software ;)
    • AllinStefk
      AllinStefk
      Bronze
      he he he sounds like the best is to pack up and hit another country..lol...any sponsors?...lol...

Thanks fr all the tips guys, really appreciate it!
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AllinStefk
      What did the players in France and the US do during their ban? :s_mad:
      In the US since the law is directed at banks everyone, except for the banks, just ignores it.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      When did this happen?

Up until last week sites were still advertising on TV.........
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      me again...........if you play say at Stars or Titan instead of an SA site, how will the government ever know what you are up to?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      ip addresses...
    • ZexKK
      ZexKK
      Bronze
      /
    • ZexKK
      ZexKK
      Bronze
      I just talked to some guys about this on other forum, and they said: what about when you withdraw? You can use Google DNS so they don't know you are playing it, but when you withdraw they can clearly see where the money is coming from. Even if you withdraw with moneybookers they can see it.
      So what about this problem guys?
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ZexKK
      Even if you withdraw with moneybookers they can see it.
      How?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      That sucks, 10 years of jail for playing poker.
    • ZexKK
      ZexKK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      Originally posted by ZexKK
      Even if you withdraw with moneybookers they can see it.
      How?
      Where there are records on moneybookers where did the money come from, and I guess they can track it, so I've been told. I read on moneybookers that credit cards from some banks can not work with moneybookers because those banks have something like no gaming (or gambling) policy. That means they can see if the money came from gambling.

But I am claiming this, just writing what I heard from others. So, if anyone knows better, if anyone from country where they banned "abroad" gambling managed to withdraw with no problem, please correct me if I am wrong.
    • AllinStefk
      AllinStefk
      Bronze
      @tokyoaces Yes, i have heard that and that is the angle that the SA Government is taking. Hitting media,ISP's and the Banks. So its pointless playing and winning because you wont be able to anything with the cash!

@andyb43 This was passed this past Wednesday. I heard that something was on the boil for a while but thought it was heading in the direction of making onling gambling and games LEGAL. As i mentioned above, its fine to play on an overseas site but what happens to cashing it out?

@ZexKK Withdrwals will be an issue. For starters Moneybookers doesnt allow for withdrawls to South Africa. Only Paypal! So i was thinking that a player would be able to shift cash from Moneybookers to PayPal and then their card? But then they are in danger of breaking the law even further with money laundering...

@Schnitzelfisch It sucks big time. What a joke of note. The fact that this is supposed to be a 3rd World Country would make one think that they wont be able to police this but i think that they will, as most poker players in SA are affluent and will be made examples of!

I am still upset about this rruling and so is the whole of the South African Poker Community!

Further news is that South Africa's biggest Poker Room has been closed from 12pm last night. all money held in that account that has not been drawn will be kept for safe keeping. WTF? ?(
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      lol I would move in an instant :X
    • Graydawn
      Graydawn
      Bronze
      I've withdrawn my bankroll from fulltilt, and it will probably arrive in my bank account on Friday via moneybookers. Since this is my last cashout they won't beable to fine me right? xD I sure hope so otherwise I'll see you guys in 10 years time lol...
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      there is always a way...
    • AllinStefk
      AllinStefk
      Bronze
      so sick, i think i am going to move!!! no jokes. Where can i move?
    • AllinStefk
      AllinStefk
      Bronze
      Ban has been appealed and overturned!!! We're back in biz..lol..