$3.82
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $2.04
      MP1:
      $1.60

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K.
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.07, Hero calls $0.07, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.17) 7, Q, 2 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.17, Hero calls $0.17.

Turn: ($0.51) 4 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.38, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.51.

Preflop raise, continuation bet on flop and on turn? Seemed to me that guy had aces or three of a kind. Maybe flush, but I find that improbable. Was it right to fold it or should i risked it?
  • 7 replies
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      Howdy,

I like 3betting pre. You have the position and it's nice to use it postflop, so just play it straightforward - he may still call with worse hands and he will pay off you anyway if he hits.
      By that it will make your decisions easier postflop as you will be able to bet, bet, bet most likely or play according to situation.

As played without 3betting I would just usually raise flop. If he pots I assume he has something he's going to play here and it may call with worse hands.
      Some reads about player may help and if he is total nit you could r/f on flop if you REALLY know he is not going to shove anything worse than sets/two pair/AA, but as it's just too brave assumption to make about NL2 players, so I wouldn't miss opportunity to stack him off.

Good luck!
    • SPwoodrose
      SPwoodrose
      Bronze
      After calling preflop and on the flop I also wouldn't fold the turn, we have a flush draw now in case we are behind against a set, and he's definitely still betting all of his Qx hands here.

Raising pre or at least on the flop is much better though :)
    • Anasazy
      Anasazy
      Bronze
      hands played : 129
      WTS : 23
      AF : 1,7
      vpip : 22

I thought of him as a loose passive player and so if he continues to bet again and again that might mean something. Not many hands played with him so it may be incorrect. Guess next time I´ll re-raise him right away :) . He might not continue and Iĺl get at least something out of it or he will and I´ll get new info xD .

edit : If I would have to choose one thing that I don´t like. It´s passive player continuously betting... That made my dicision. Wrong? xD
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      You played way to pasively imo. surely re-raise pre, surely re-raise flop, maybe even re-raise turn (but its risky)
    • Anasazy
      Anasazy
      Bronze
      I like sometimes not to show strength preflop so i can surprise further... I´m not always calling kings and aces etc. It´s sure thing you raise, but if you do it every time you have it, they are more likely to fold and you ll get 1,5bb.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Anasazy
      I like sometimes not to show strength preflop so i can surprise further... I´m not always calling kings and aces etc. It´s sure thing you raise, but if you do it every time you have it, they are more likely to fold and you ll get 1,5bb.
      This has some truth to it. The problem isn't really that you decide to slowplay it preflop, it's more that your postflop line doesn't match your preflop action.

When most tags see you just call preflop, they'll think "well ok he doesn't have QQ+". That's the whole point right? So when they see the Qxy flop, AQ is the nuts to them. If I'm in his shoes I'm overjoyed to valuebet 3 streets, because it looks like you flatted preflop with KQ and I have AQ so I'll get your stack or close to it.

So all I'm saying is, when you purposedly underep your hand, you induce people to play stronger with weaker holdings, which means you cannot just fold afterward just because they bet 2 streets into you. Especially not when you have the 2nd nut redraw on the turn, even if you happen to be behind you have outs still, so what's the problem.

My default if I just call the flop c-bet is to just call down against strong bets since you'll indeed get shown QQ/AA sometimes and when you do raise it looks so damn strong that you're almost bluffing if he's tight enough. Of course raising the flop and felting your hand is the easiest option and definitely viable as well against tight but not nitty opponents, it's also really really good against people capable of thinking you're bluff-raising the dry board with nothing.

Hope it helps.
    • Anasazy
      Anasazy
      Bronze
      Hi

I see. I intended to call/re-raise him afterwards, but it seemed to me that he is way too sure that he's the one getting the pot. Nevermind, I see that mistake now and I'll stack him off some other day :) . Thanks to all of you guys for helping me out. This was great. :)