"Learn from the pain"...right

• YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

My name is Georgi and I'm from Bulgaria. I'll be 22 in october. I study Finance, will be starting my 4th and final year for my bachelor's degree in about a month. For my master's I'd like to go somewhere abroad but that's a different story... :)

I presume many others have been in the position I'm in right now - taking a short break from playing because of a downswing but still want to talk poker and we make a blog on PS. :f_biggrin:

I personally don't have friends who play poker even a tad more seriously than just for the talk and laughs of it in a live game and they're all tired of me ranting about bad beats, coolers and tilt so this seemed like a logical way out lol I rarely talk about the good times, when things are good I'm up for a talk about anything, but at times like now - it's all poker up in my head :f_eek:

I played for about 5-6 weeks with the starting capital a few months back. I played SSS. Went well for a while, then I moved up to NL25 SSS, there, for the first time variance hit, an inconvenient moment - just when you get to a limit 2.5 times your last one. Then for the first time I tilted because of it - cost me (compared to my $150 bankroll) a vast amount of money, like $60. Plus, I had like 15k hands in SSS and was tired of it. Then some school stuff kicked in and I forgot about poker for a while.

Then, middle of last month, I received an email from the poker room telling me they'll give me $25 if I make 300 points. And they achieved their goal - got me hooked again. I had worked at an online gambling back office and knew about those emails to sleepers but I did want to play. I had like $60 left in my account so I went for it. Didn't revise anything, had never read the BSS articles, just started playing full stack on NL2 SH. Lost a few BI, being so overconfident. I was kinda disappointed of myself.

Then I decided to watch some videos. TwiceT's Move it move it up to the sky part 1 and 2 was on the top of my search results so I watched those. I watched them 2 times in a row, watched them more times later, while I ate dinner...watched them many times :) I loved TT's style and I got what he was on about. Also this project was with Eminescu500, who is from north of the border, and he was like...my age, studying finance too and was getting TT's coaching for...well pretty much free so I figured I'd get some too, through videos. :f_biggrin: This stuff was irrelevant but kinda made me want to watch and play even more :f_p: Kind of how TT looks at where players at the tables are from hah

After absorbing 95% of the knowledge put into part 1 I sat down and crushed nl2 for a while, got the $25 bonus after the 300 points, and got an offer for $25 more. Got that too eventually, though now playing NL5. I won like 11bb/100h for about 14k hands and since I figured play at NL5 and NL10 shouldn't be too different, went up to NL10 with about $230.

The roll grew through ups and downs to $398.88. Then the day before yesterday it all went downhill and I'm now at $248. I'm reading up on mindset articles and will hopefully not be playing for 1 or 2 days. Just reading and watching videos.

So...yeah that's it. Poured my poker heart out, wonder if anyone will read all the way down to here lol.

That's it for now... Thank you, TwiceT for the videos, real eyeopeners. I haven't even read all the strategy articles and I play like 10 times better than before I saw them. Also hasenbraten's vids are great as well, and there are more of them for NL10.

All the best to all, on and off the tables :rolleyes:
  • 9 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Read the whole post! Congratulations to me :f_biggrin: .

I understand what you are going through. Had the same situations about a week ago at NL5. But then just hit a decent BR for NL10 (~25BIs) and moved up instantly because I also felt almost no motivation on NL5. I play FR though which I think is better to begin with.

Keep us up to date with your progress! Good luck!

Manu.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Good luck
    • YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Read the whole post! Congratulations to me :f_biggrin: .
      Yeah, gratz ;)

Thank you both, hopefully tomorrow I'll play well and my hands will hold up. If it's not too much to ask for :P

I've sucked at pool these days too so it must be the moon or something...I can't do anything right lol

Also I've been reading some blogs, great reads. I especially liked Lennonac's. Very inspiring although I don't play sngs :rolleyes:
    • YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      Update!

Okay, 30 or so visits and 2 comments, not the most widely read blog out there but I will update nonetheless :D It's more for me, it helps me summarise events and thoughts :P

As Borat said - great success! I have a new record for daily winnings. As stacks, I've done it before on nl2 and nl5 but still... I won almost 11 stacks in 1227 hands. Yup.. 88.5bb/100h lol. Too bad this can't be my winrate forever :f_biggrin:

Yesterday I read mindset articles, read blogs and saw how people deal with tilt and variance. It's like...I didn't really learn anything new but just reading about it, about how other people go through the exact same thing, down to the very last detail, just made me feel better. (not that other people suffer too, just that my situation isn't unusual ;) ) Also Lennonac's blog taught me the importance of volume. I used to play 2k or 3k hands only when losing, which is so dumb... When I was winning I'd just think "why ruin my good profit? So what if it's just 650 hands. I'll try and change that in future. Too bad university is starting soon.

Anyways...
      The other things I'd like to talk about are stats, advice, and maybe somebody playing at the level I am at right now to talk things over with. Not that I'd mind somebody more experienced :) Though having somebody to advance with would make it more competitive and probably more productive, at least for me, cause I always need that push lol

Here are some stats off Elephant since July 22nd. Hands from all 3 limits I've played after watching TwiceT's vids. Thats like BC and AD with me :f_biggrin:

Any comment, advice and guidance is warmly welcomed!

Yeah...0.4bb/100h on nl10. I had 2 awful days of play - Aug 25th and 26th, which resulted in a $186 loss. Both awful in terms of luck and my own tilted play but I'm feeling confident now that I've found new ways to combat tilt. Also implementing the loss-stop limit of 3BI per session for now, maybe I'll make it per day, lets lose some more money and I'll decide lol

Please tell me about the stats, I haven't improved anything for the last month, just trying to get some experience, I'll be reading up on articles now, also have quite a few books. Lets see how university goes, hopefully I'll have time for both.
    • IcMean
      IcMean
      Bronze
      Do you want 300$?
    • YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IcMean
      Do you want 300$?

lol ur a funny guy

lets see what you change it to this time..

and where did that post from schnitzelsomething go? moderators messing with my thread..interesting
    • IcMean
      IcMean
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YUKNOW
      Originally posted by IcMean
      Do you want 300$?

lol ur a funny guy

lets see what you change it to this time..

and where did that post from schnitzelsomething go? moderators messing with my thread..interesting
      Schnitzelfish set me up :D

And I wish you good luck with your poker :p
    • mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      Good luck
    • YUKNOW
      YUKNOW
      Bronze
      Here's my not-so-beautiful graph for NL10 until now.

I guess the nonshowdown losses are way too big. Any advice on how to minimize them? Maybe play fewer hands or fold less often? (though folding more rarely might result in just converting them into showdown losses)