$10.85
      SB:
      $11.97
      BB (Hero):
      $15.93
      MP2:
      $3.90

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 4.
      4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.8) 7, T, 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2) A (2 players)
      SB bets $0.90, Hero raises to $2.43, SB raises to $3.96, Hero calls $1.53.

River: ($9.92) J (2 players)
      SB bets $7.01, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $9.92.

vs 38/8/2.8AF (flop 5AF/turn 5AF/river 0.5AF) dude over 25 hands

should've shipped the turn?
  • 3 replies
    • mariaprodanova
      mariaprodanova
      Bronze
      I'm really interested in a professional opinion on this hand. :)

I personally would have played it like you did. Or maybe just call turn... I'm thinking he might have a set, 2pair, straight, or some pair+fd, pair+oesd combodraw. And against those you either have showdown value, or don't really lose value if you just call, or at least not too much, and definitely not enough to make the call unprofitable. Even if he has a better ace than yours, he would bet or at least call like $1.50, which I think makes the call +EV. But I'm a :f_p:
    • SPwoodrose
      SPwoodrose
      Bronze
      I probably would have just called the turn. Hard to see better hands folding very often, and we lose value if he was intending to bluff the river with any missed straight draw he might have. Raising can also lead to some tricky river decisions when we miss, the pot already being huge and us left with just a weak top pair.

But I am interested in what the hand judge says also :P
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd probably have raised the flop right off the bat, he looks decently aggressive postflop so chances are he's bluffing there sometimes as well as lead/calling weakish draws/pair+draw hands that we'll be able to play pretty perfectly against in position on later streets. I wouldn't have been too happy if he went bet/3bet tho and might have ended up folding to it barring good implied odds or a read that he's insane enough to be bluffing there, in which case we can still jam over and make a huge profit if he's ever capable of bet/3bet/folding.

As played on the turn went he bets somewhat small his hand looks like some Tx that is somewhat scared of the A, but because he's bad it could also mean nothing, not everybody bets according to pot size. So while I'd say it's a clear-value raise in the first case, it's probably safer to just call if you think he's capable of betting the same amount with nut hands, which he probably is. I'd plan on calling most rivers unless something really scary like him overshoving happens, and of course we're raise/shoving all diamond rivers.

As played when we get bet/3bet on the turn we usually have no fold equity on a shove whatsoever and it's quite likely we're way behind at that point, sometimes our A/4 outs will be good, sometimes they won't. Just counting flushdraw outs we still get huge implied odds, so of course we're calling in position. Frankly I'd be flipping a coin on A/4 rivers if he jammed.

As played on the river nothing we can do, I just don't think he's bluffing there often enough for us to call down with top pair. Even if he's not actively reading hands on some level the A should still scare him unless he can beat it, so bluff-catching with TPNK isn't usually a good idea. If you think he's completely whacko it's not bad, but I wouldn't call without further reads after only 25 hands.

Hope it helps.