[NL2-NL10] nl2 - missed KQ bluff

• YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      BB: 27/12, af 1.3, wts 18
      preflop raise was meant as agressive cont-bet.
      turn raise was attempt to make him fold and to keep showing strenght. (probably too low for making him fold)
      river raise was bluff with purpose of looking like attempt to inflate pot and win more. (I expected he had draw)

Is this viable way to play? what is optimum raise amounts?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $1.97
      MP2:
      $1.85
      MP3:
      $2.14
      CO:
      $2.18
      BU:
      $0.70
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $2.04
      UTG1:
      $0.98
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $4.43

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with K, Q.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.05, 3 folds, CO calls $0.05, 2 folds, BB calls $0.03.

Flop: ($0.16) 7, 6, T (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.15, CO folds, BB calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.46) 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.15, BB calls $0.15.

River: ($0.76) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.15, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.76.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Raise bigger preflop with fish behind, I 4x it more often than not. You're inherently losing value by keeping the pot small when you have a good hand and an edge against these guys.

On that flop I just give up often, it hits a lot of medium cards somewhat as well as any and all clubs. If behind we have very poor equity we called. C-bet/folding can't be bad since he looks really tight so far postflop, but usually it's just not worth my time. If I do bet I'll make it smaller, we're only trying to fold out hands that don't have anything, those that do will not fold to a pot c-bet anymore than they'll fold to a 1/2 c-bet.

As played on the turn nothing changed and he didn't fold the flop so I wouldn't bet again, especially not that small, we have no fold equity really, whatever he called with on the flop he's gonna call again for that price.

As played the river is kind of okay seeing the price you're giving yourself on the bluff, if you get him to fold random 1 club that whiffed the flushdraw. That said you beat a good amount of those hands with KQ-high so maybe it's not necessary.

Hope it helps.