$12.06
      CO:
      $9.60
      BU:
      $10.00
      SB:
      $10.41

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A.
      MP2 raises to $0.35, Hero raises to $1.00, 3 folds, BB calls $0.90, MP2 calls $0.65.

Flop: ($3.05) 6, 9, T (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $2.00, BB folds, MP2 calls $2.00.

Turn: ($7.05) Q (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $4.00, MP2 calls $4.00.

River: ($15.05) 3 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $4.00, Hero raises to $5.06, MP2 calls $1.06.

Final Pot: $25.17.

Villain is a reg.

I thought about this hand so hardly afterwards. I think my turn bet was the most problematic part. I had position and I can go pot control right there. Villain will not hold a draw on the turn because my preflop raise and cbet on flop should exclude all draws on this particular flop. Villain is not the type to set mine after a 3bet. AK of diamonds will not get to the turn too.

So on the turn villain actually had a very narrow range: QQ+. KK would probably get it in pre or on the flop, so the only likely hands are QQ and AA there.

But why would AA not 4b pre with 1 plr in the middle? Probably villain flats AA pre and want to trap a big pair like KK/QQ... Very unlikely but still possible.

Anyway, against AA obviously my turn bet was meaningless, just contribute to the rake. Against QQ my turn bet was suicide. So check turn should be the best option.

But I still bet out hoping to see a KK...

And river call was also questionnable but the turn bet "pot committed" me so I just made a desperate call.

If I had checked turn then I can just call villain's river bet and would have lost at least 40bb less. Damned. This is when I lost my concentration when holding a big overpair.

And I know villain made a mistake for not folding the flop. But who can blame him for not folding when holding QQ there, especially when this is NL10...
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You kind of forgot JJ the whole time, which I think is his most likely hand by far on the turn, unless you think he's tight enough to fold it to a 3bet out of position, which is doubtful really. Worth noting that BB coldcalled the 3bet, which makes MP2 more likely to flat call KK+ instead of 4betting, and more likely to stick around with less than stellar hands just because of the pot odds he gets.

The combos of slowplayed KK+ and standardly played JJ I'd estimate at around 10 total preflop, something like 8 on the turn because I think KK+ often raises that flop after slowplaying preflop, while there are only 3 combos of QQ out there once the turn Q hits. So with him possibly having stuff like QJs as well I'm definitely betting the turn for value again and felting it.

If you disagree with that and you feel you're behind on the turn, why would you call a river bet after checking back the turn? He won't bet more worse hands on the river than he'd have called a bet with on the turn, so why do you think it's better to check back turn call river than to bet the turn to begin with? If you check back the turn, fold to a river bet unless it's small like possibly a blockbet from JJ or something.

Hope it helps.