This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

need to make 40$ a day or i'm screwed

• CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      hello all

i just received some bad financial news.

the grace period on my loan for studies is going to end on 1 march next year :(

the problem is that im currently unemployed and is hard to find something suitable ( according to my unfinished studies )

my question to you guys is if you think i can make 40$ a day from poker starting from march given that now my roll is around 600$ and i'm running at 1% everything / 1200 limit / max 4% overall.

That would mean 1% max every game, 1200 bbs in limit poker , and 4% total risk on the screen in any moment

i play sng's little over water line
      i play 6max a little better nl5
      i play fr UNDER water
      i play mtt better than sng or cash but everyone knows mtt cashes are not consistent
      i play limit holdem little - ev
      i play stud all variations
      i dont play but thinking about playing omaha

thank you for taking time to read this :)

can i do it regularly after 1 march next year?
  • 46 replies
    • dotarian
      dotarian
      Bronze
      hey, better ask the question if you can make 1.2k/month not 40$/day...
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Relying on poker when you're not an established player yet is usually a rough idea. better to use it as side income and get a part time job too.

McDonald's is hiring. Someone's gotta flip my cheeseburgers.
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      to dotarian

same thing , i meant as 40$ average

to wasy

start to regret about posting, it was my risk of facing this kind of comments

ps. im happy for you , you are so confident, keep it up
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Variance is inherent in poker. If you need a stable type income, poker is probably not the way to go.
    • jecis4
      jecis4
      Bronze
      I think it will be close to inpossible, you can always play blackjack tough.
    • jecis4
      jecis4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA

to wasy

start to regret about posting, it was my risk of facing this kind of comments

ps. im happy for you , you are so confident, keep it up
      He's only confident in the world of internet, and obv MCD is his 2nd home. Btw that means he's fat.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      Variance is inherent in poker. If you need a stable type income, poker is probably the way to go with great rakeback deal and big volume.
      FYP

IMO $40/day is possible with NL20/NL25 and 6-9 tabling 8h/day (Around $80-$120 in rake per day).
      Requirements: Don't be 12/8 nit and be at least small winner over really big sample.
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      You're obviously seriously considering this instead of getting a job to pay off your loans.
      Based on your last post it seems like you've already decided to do this (?). wasy8 gave you a straight answer, and you don't like that...

If you're not comfortably making $1200 a month playing poker at the moment, how are you gonna do that with the added pressure of having to make that much?

Be realistic...
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      It takes time to acquire the skill needed and to become that comfortable on the tables to make that kind of consistent profit.

Since you need it urgently I wouldn't suggest poker. You won't play your best game anyhow, cos you'll be so focused on the money. Once a couple of bad beats hit, you're screwed.

You should look for a job, any job. Start saving now.

Good luck
      Matt
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      What's bad in big pressure? :)
      It can only push him to work harder.
      What's the worst thing it can happen to him? He can fail and get a job.
      If I were in his shoes I'd start with mastering one type of game ASAP!
      In reality, there's enough time by March 2011 (I'm playing atm so I'm sorry if I messed something with dates) to grind solid roll and gain enough experience+knowledge to crush NL20-NL50.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Get a job, live a pressure-free life. Playing poker under water must be cool though.
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zheelvern
      If I were in his shoes I'd start with mastering one type of game ASAP!
      I agree. Focus on one type, preferably something with as low a variance as possible. I think NL STTs and FL 6-max cash games are the best 2 options. And maybe make a blog about it. Apparently they're good for motivation or something.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      In reality, there's enough time by March 2011 (I'm playing atm so I'm sorry if I messed something with dates) to grind solid roll and gain enough experience+knowledge to crush NL20-NL50.
      Do you really think 1200$ a month is possible after 6/7 months?
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      Of course. It's just the point of wish and discipline. Btw, when I'm saying $1,200/month I mean rakeback/cashback/bonuses + approx. 1/2 of his monthly profits (speaking of NL20/NL25 as the lowest stake to go "pro").
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      Of course. It's just the point of wish and discipline. Btw, when I'm saying $1,200/month I mean rakeback/cashback/bonuses + approx. 1/2 of his monthly profits (speaking of NL20/NL25 as the lowest stake to go "pro").
      And just like that, I have a new goal :f_p:
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Silver
      Man may be it sounds ridiculous but I wish you to get struck by variance on the first day you try. It's better than wasting a couple of month on a "heater" and then get on major downswing and probably even bigger tilt.

Playing under pressure is not a good idea at all and when you're so result oriented any minor downswing or even a long break even period looks depressive.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Get a job, live a pressure-free life. Playing poker under water must be cool though.
      Pressure free is for cool people
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Pressure free is for cool people
      This.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I know.