(imp. question) 9 handed mid-phase

• matel17
      I was playing a $2.25 9man sit n go and by the time the blinds reached 100/200 there were still 6 players left - that's an average chip count of 2250. There was only one who was very short stacked and 2 guys slightly above the rest.

Question: Does this mean that the rest of the tournament is a push/fold move?

Kinda sucks, doesn't leave much room for skill (or for acquiring it! :D )

• 3 replies
    • DannyG13
      The Push/Fold phase is where you need the most skill imo, this is where money is earnt and lost.
    • matel17
      I have the ICM trainer and I do use it. But I'm not sure how to apply it in real games, i mean every situation is different and during play I really doubt what to do!

Here's a song about it :P just change the lyrics to "Should I push or should I fold?"

• pzhon
      Particularly in a $2 tournament, your opponents will not play push/fold, and you need to know how to respond to them even if you will play push/fold.

When the average stack is 11 bb, this leaves open the possibility that there will be resteals instead of pushes. Many players feel uncomfortable about shoving for over 10 bb, and they will make small raises. Do you have fold equity if you shove for 11 bb total over a 3 bb raise? Should you try a stop-and-go, which means calling preflop to push on most flops?

There are a few situations in which you might not want to play push/fold even with under 12 bb stacks. However, if everyone folds in front of you, you will not lose much by playing push/fold.

Nevertheless, there is still a lot of skill left in a push/fold game. Even if you are beating your opponents, it is likely that you can still improve your assessment of their ranges and how you should respond, and that you can improve your ROI.