POKERSTARS heads up

• ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I have decided that I would like to give playing heads up a shot, the reason being that it is possibly my best game and I enjoy playing it the most. My roll is currently 80 dollars, had a massive downswing it was 600 a couple of weeks ago.

What do you guys think I should begin playing, I def preferr playing cash game hu but obv my roll isn't great. I would love to play 1-2 dollar turbo sng but for some reason stars don't host turbos hu for 1- 2 - 3 dollar buy in for nl hu I can only find turbos for 6 dollar +

So I am basicaly looking for advice in what to play exactly, how many tables at once is recommended [have grinded 24 tables in the past] and in general any advice from those which know what they are doing..

Skill wise I am deff better than my bankroll and should be able to outplay most people on the lower limits, i've had a few k bankroll b4 but had to take the cash out for personal reasons. But now I am starting fresh and looking for advice.

Also any study material would be great....So if you have or know of anything that can help me, please speak up like br management tips :) thank you.
  • 23 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Play what you like best.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      That was the greatest advice ever, thanks
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      I am looking for whatever assistance can help my heads up progress lol :) play what you like doesn't help much :(
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I know, right? But seriously, do that ;) .
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Realistically speaking, what % of sngs would I have to win in order to be profitable at these games...I hear alot of people saying that any percent over 50 is a winning player, howevent that obviously doesn't consider rake which is like 10+ percent. So how much do I really need to win.

At the same time, I am platinum on stars so 40 percent rakeback.

What are the chances of me making a decent amount of money playing 2-5 hu sngs...mmm..

Also what is the ideal amount of tables to play hu as a standard
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      to be profitable u have to win 51% ;)
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      and all he questions u ask are sceptical cause they all relate to you only u can answer them, how many tables u play and all like u gottaa answer that yourself
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Should be easily calculate if you play with the rake and the buy-in... just do some maths ;) . Depends on rakebacak and rake percantage, thats it
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Play what you like best.
      listen to this guy ffs
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Micro HU sngs aren't worth the effort. They're 2.2$ so 10$ rake which is a lot. 6.25 have less then 5% rake so its better to play those, if you have a roll for it deposit or it will take you ages to grind out 2.2$ ones. But yeah they're super soft so winning 70% of them shouldn't be much of a problem either. On the other hand, i played 2.20, 6.25 and currently 11.5$ ones and there's almost no skill difference.

HU i prefer to 1-2 table since you really have to focus on your opponent to maximize your winrate. I dont see how anyone can 24 table HU lol.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Finally someone has said something helpful :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Ok, time for a "useful" reply.

First of all, don't play HU cash at micro limits. I think that below NL50 it's pointless because the rake is so high. Probably at NL100/NL200, it becomes ok. As for FLHU, at 3/6 it's acceptibale, at 5/T it's ok.

If you are playing a $2.2 SNG, the rake is $0.2 and the potential winnings are $1.8. You are paying $2.2 in order to win $1.8. If you win 50/100 tournaments, It means that you will be $20 down (50*1.8 - 50*2.2). Now, to be breakeven, you need to win x per 50 lost. (x*1.8 - 50*2.2 = 0), so you need to win 61,1/111,1 which is 55,04%. In conclusion, you need to win at least 55,05% of the times to have a profit.

Now for example If you play 100 $6.25 ones, it's (x*5.75 - 50*6.25 = 0), x=54,34. 54,34/104,34 = 52,07%, so you need to win at least 52,08% in order to have a profit.

You have to know that rakeback is not included in these self-made equations though. To calculate it using rakeback, just deduct the rakeback from rake ;) .

Now while I do not know much about heads-up SNGs, I do not know how many you can expect to win, but I guess that there is some luck involved. I prefer to not make any assumptions about how many you will be able to win. The problem might be that you won't be playing the fish all the time, etc. If you were able to win 70% at any limit, that would be pretty awesome ;) .

As for the "play what you like best", that's pretty much the main rule of poker. If you don't like playing something, you will never be motivated enough, etc. The best results come from something that you like doing the most. So it is indeed the greatest advice ever :) .

Best regards,

SF
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Was myself considering the micro HU earlier this month. Did it a little but then there's too much luck involved. (Villain will go all-in with any 2 cards he finds pretty and except if you have a pocket pair it most likely going to end in a 60/40 kind of situation. )

Very hard to make profit in the long term imo.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      my roll is up to 500 now anyway been crushing the games, I am playing 10$ hu sng now
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Silver
      from 80$ to 500$ in less than 3 days. Sick heater, or bad brm.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Since I can see from his posts that he played $6.25, it's lucky with bad BRM.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Actually I was staked to play live nl100 and crushed the table...So

Skill?
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I would withdraw now. 80$ to 500$ seems crazy to me in 3 days...You can expect a huge downswing or maybe you can continue on your heater ;) and reach 2k soon :D
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      80->500 pfff... piece of cake