Cash in to boost BR

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I have read a good few threads about cashing out some $ from our BR.
      Instead I am thinking about casing in!! :D

Basically I moved down a limit a while ago due to a downswing. Since I was using a pretty aggressive BRM :D , it is taking me a while to get my BR where it was. Especially because I can not put in volume as some of you do. Eventhough I'd love to I can't - job, girlfriend being the 2 main reasons.

I have played nearly 2 months at the lower limit and have a winrate of approx 5 big blinds/100 still clearly running below EV. That is why I think I have the skills to move up. However my BR isn't there yet. I reckon it would take me 2 more months.

So I was thinking about cashing in in a temporarely way just to boost up my BR and then eventually cashing out this amount of money coz I like the feeling of having my BR made up only by winnings.

I just feel like I would learn much more by moving up one limit.

Does it sound like a good plan or should I stick to the old BR build through grinding?
  • 25 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      If you are sure that you can beat a certain limit, there is nothing wrong with depositing to have an appropriate BRM for it :) . I often do this because I am very spewy when I have too much money in my bank account, it is way safer in the poker account :) .
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      What I'm sure about is that I'm beating my current limit.
      Not too sure about the limit above.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Imo, just use more aggro brm. It's basically the same thing anyways, because you're not quitting. Something like 20 buyins is plenty if you've got the confidence and the skills needeed. If you're just pawning everytime you hit the tables on your limit, even 13 buyins for next limit sounds fair to me.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Shevtshenko
      Imo, just use more aggro brm.even 13 buyins for next limit sounds fair to me.
      That's what I want to hear!! :D

More seriously what I don't want to end up doing is move up and move down again if I'm a bit down. Because I think it wouldn't be a good thing not being able to get properly used to the limit above.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Depositing and playing within BRM is way better than aggro BRM with like 13BI. You're gonna be moving up and down all the time like that and every tilt will be very costy...
    • holnrew
      holnrew
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Depositing and playing within BRM is way better than aggro BRM with like 13BI. You're gonna be moving up and down all the time like that and every tilt will be very costy...
      Lesson learned over the weekend... lol.

It's also more depressing as it's a larger chunk of your BR disappearing, which if you're on a tilt is dangerous as you try and claw it back. Still, it's experience and lessons learned.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      ya, nothing wrong with depositing as long as if u lose that money u will still be able to have a good quality of life.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Doesn't tilting cost you just the same amount regardless of br? :f_confused: If he's anyway going to play higher, don't get that.

In the end, it comes down to: "do you want to mix you rl & pokahh rolls?"
      -I personally don't.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Shevtshenko
      Doesn't tilting cost you just the same amount regardless of br? :f_confused: If he's anyway going to play higher, don't get that.

In the end, it comes down to: "do you want to mix you rl & pokahh rolls?"
      -I personally don't.
      Let's say you tilt and lose 10BI.

With 50BI BRM You lose 1/5 of the roll.
      With 13BI BRM you lose a majority of the roll, depending on when you move down. If you refuse to go down and "want to win it back", it may very well cost you your whole roll ;) .
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      After that he has to deposit.

He deposits 30 buyins. Roll is the exact same as with depositing before tilting.

edit: still don't get the point.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Ya, that's true... That's what I'm doing right now actually. I have 500€ aside from poker, but i'll need to withdraw some within a month. So i'm not depositing unless I have to because of the conversion rates, but it still counts as my poker bankroll. If you have the money that you don't need and you can beat the limit you'd play with it, you should deposit to maximize your hourly winrate.
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      go for it if your confident.....i started playing nl25 and felt kinda bored because i knew i could beat higher limits so i deposited money to get me up to NL50 and doubled my BR in a week over about 12,000 hands :) so it worked for me.....just play good. my winrate is higher at nl50 than nl25...think I play better te higher I go!lets hope this is the case and im playing supreme poker in the big game in bellagio one day!!good luck!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NeilSimpson
      go for it if your confident.....i started playing nl25 and felt kinda bored because i knew i could beat higher limits so i deposited money to get me up to NL50 and doubled my BR in a week over about 12,000 hands :) so it worked for me.....just play good. my winrate is higher at nl50 than nl25...think I play better te higher I go!lets hope this is the case and im playing supreme poker in the big game in bellagio one day!!good luck!
      You do know that's a heater and that it does not neccessarily mean you're crushing/beating the limit, right? 12k hands is no samplesize ;) .
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      I don't feel obliged to ask a question about BRM.. It's what you're comfortable... If you want you can put your entire life savings in poker and if that's making you play good then go ahead do it. But if you are becoming spewy (calling, raising too much) because you think that you have enough money you should definitely have less money.

On the contrary, you can also have 10 BIs if you are comfortable depositing.

All in all, you should set a poker BR and forget about it. You may lose it or you can boost it by winning.

The important thing is how you feel when you have money in cashier or don't have. Nobody can tell you how you feel right?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      A good poker player never loses his BR... A gambler does.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Yes, I agree and to become a good player we should first start understanding the fact that we should listen what others say but never blindly apply without understanding the reason of their advices.
    • asmirovic
      asmirovic
      Global
      How about to give your girl some more oportunities to miss you, and invest that time into grinding, so you can beak to next limit,and develop some skills and experiences needed?
      Be nice to your girlfriend, but dont allow her nor anyone in your life to have such a big role, so you have to bend your goals/passions around them- in the long run its -EV .

I wish you all the best :)

Best regards
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roswellx
      Yes, I agree and to become a good player we should first start understanding the fact that we should listen what others say but never blindly apply without understanding the reason of their advices.
      I don't personally care what you do with your bankroll and what kind of BRM you use, but please don't give this terrible advice to our members and keep it to yourself. Thank you.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by asmirovic
      How can such think as a girlfriend limit you from doing what you want in life???
      What are you gonna do when she eventually decide she doesnt want to be with you no more?
      I dont want to sound harsh, but its a cruel reality we live in and there are pretty big chances for that to happen.I bet you also realise that ...
      If you take some time from her, and invest in poker, so you can grind in poker to improve a skill and BR you will make big improvement into your self improvement process(as a poker player) and to your relationship( girls love when their man have other passions in life beside them, and they also love when they cannot have you anytime they want )
      Be nice to your girlfriend, but dont allow her nor anyone in your life to have such a big role, so you have to bend your goals/passions around them- in the long run its -EV .

I wish you all the best and hope I didint bring it too harshly on you :)
      you don't have a girlfriend do you?

I'm in exactly the same spot as OP, I withdrew a decent chunk of my BR because I didn't really want to move up and I had about 50 BI of the limit I was beating. Then, because WH is rigged, I went on a HUGE downswing now i'm down to a touch under 30BI.

I'm not sure exatly what to do either but I think I'd feel more comfortable if I had the roll in my poker account. Otherwise the tiniest donswing puts so much pressure on.

And when you deposite after losing all your money it's gonna feel bad and probably tilt you a bit, whereas if you deposite on you're way up it'll be way better