BB: $2.93
      UTG: $5.00
      UTG+1: $2.07
      UTG+2: $1.54
      MP1: $3.00
      Hero (MP2): $5.02
      CO: $1.50

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP2 with 3 :spade: 3 :heart:
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.02, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.10, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.22) 8 :club: 6 :spade: 7 :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.42) K :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1

I made the call preflop because we both had a lot of chips behind us so set mining was valid. On the flop he made what I thought was a pretty weak-looking C-bet, as I can't see too many hands in his range getting anything off that board. I raised, hoping to take the hand down right there, but he decided to come along for the ride. On the turn the check seemed weak again, as I definitely didn't put him on a flush draw.

My question is, that K obviously was a card he could have been looking for, so how carefully should I play this? Is my bet okay in this spot? I've seen a lot of guys at this limit call the flop raise and then drop to the turn bet, so is this a good move?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just open raise with it, it's strong enough. If you flop an underpair just act like your hand is dead value-wise and c-bet bluff the same boards you would with your air, you'll be fine.

As played on the flop I'm just folding to the c-bet, we have such crappy equity against pretty much everything that it's just not worth the trouble really. SB c-bet close to pot on one of the shittest board for his overcard hands, I'd expect him not to be going anywhere to a raise the vast majority of the time unless he's really c-betting 100%. You need him to be bet/fold a lot of his c-betting range, not a lot of his preflop range. If he chooses to only c-bet overpairs on such a bad board, you're just hemoraghing money by trying to bluff him off that with a 2-outer.

As played on the turn betting again once usually won't be enough, since he'll show up with a lot of flopped overpairs that he won't fold to just another turn bet, definitely not if he has a big spade to go with it, so I'd either fire the turn then shove a lot of rivers, or just cut my losses and give up on the hand. I'd advice the latter at microstakes, people just don't like folding and he could have bet/called the flop with a flushdraw, not everybody will bet/3bet those.

Hope it helps.
    • AtomicReaction
      AtomicReaction
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice, I tend to try too hard to be sneaky at these levels. Gotta just get myself used to playing good ABC poker :f_biggrin: