This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 3s in position v. preflop aggressor

• AtomicReaction
      AtomicReaction
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $1.07
      SB: $7.08
      BB: $2.93
      UTG: $5.00
      UTG+1: $2.07
      UTG+2: $1.54
      MP1: $3.00
      Hero (MP2): $5.02
      CO: $1.50

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP2 with 3 :spade: 3 :heart:
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.02, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.10, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.22) 8 :club: 6 :spade: 7 :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.42) K :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1

I made the call preflop because we both had a lot of chips behind us so set mining was valid. On the flop he made what I thought was a pretty weak-looking C-bet, as I can't see too many hands in his range getting anything off that board. I raised, hoping to take the hand down right there, but he decided to come along for the ride. On the turn the check seemed weak again, as I definitely didn't put him on a flush draw.

My question is, that K obviously was a card he could have been looking for, so how carefully should I play this? Is my bet okay in this spot? I've seen a lot of guys at this limit call the flop raise and then drop to the turn bet, so is this a good move?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just open raise with it, it's strong enough. If you flop an underpair just act like your hand is dead value-wise and c-bet bluff the same boards you would with your air, you'll be fine.

As played on the flop I'm just folding to the c-bet, we have such crappy equity against pretty much everything that it's just not worth the trouble really. SB c-bet close to pot on one of the shittest board for his overcard hands, I'd expect him not to be going anywhere to a raise the vast majority of the time unless he's really c-betting 100%. You need him to be bet/fold a lot of his c-betting range, not a lot of his preflop range. If he chooses to only c-bet overpairs on such a bad board, you're just hemoraghing money by trying to bluff him off that with a 2-outer.

As played on the turn betting again once usually won't be enough, since he'll show up with a lot of flopped overpairs that he won't fold to just another turn bet, definitely not if he has a big spade to go with it, so I'd either fire the turn then shove a lot of rivers, or just cut my losses and give up on the hand. I'd advice the latter at microstakes, people just don't like folding and he could have bet/called the flop with a flushdraw, not everybody will bet/3bet those.

Hope it helps.
    • AtomicReaction
      AtomicReaction
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice, I tend to try too hard to be sneaky at these levels. Gotta just get myself used to playing good ABC poker :f_biggrin: