Single table sngs vs MTT

• matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      Are SnG and MTT similar enough to learn/study/practice them both? I have tripled my $50 initial by playing SnG and only a few MTT.

I had already asked a similar question about playing both cash and Sit n gos and despite different comments I decided against playing them both and stick with the 1 table sng.

However it seems to me that sngs and mtts might be similar enough.

Suggestions please?

Thanks!
  • 9 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

Usually, the SNG players move to MTTs eventually when there is too little traffic at high stakes. The SNGs and MTTs are not THAT different - in fact, playing at the final table of the MTT is similar to playing in an SNG in a way. There are differences though, in SNGs you are faced with a bubble all the time while in MTTs, the bubble is only a small part of the game. There are similarities, but they are actually different games. I think you can learn them together but be careful, it's not the same game!

Best regards,

SF
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well its actually a really different game. Yes its true that late in MTT you do get into push or fold phase, but the ICM is totally different, since the payout structure is very top heavy. That makes your pushing ranges different as well.

While in STT your main goal is to get survive and get ITM, in an MTT you have to work to get as many chips as possible as it more or less doesn't matter if you go out on the bubble or not. If you check out sunday 1/2million on starts for example, there's 30k players every weekend with buy in 11$, and if you get into top 4.5k you get 15$ which imo is a joke. Even after you get ITM and grind up to top 1k you still only get 50$, while #1 place is around 25-30k on avreage.

Basically in MTTs you shouldn't focus on getting ITM but winning the whole thing. And thats the problem in large tournaments, where apart from being good you also have to be really lucky to win one of those. If you really want to start MTTs you should try 180man turbos on stars with buyins from 2$ and up.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Thanks!

Why Turbo though?

(omg I'm silver :D :D )
    • onepark
      onepark
      Bronze
      Im STT play and I am planning to play MTT more often.

I love to see what other tips I can get to be better in MTT :)
    • LilSteewe
      LilSteewe
      Bronze
      I play STTs too and thinking about MTTs, but all MTTs or 180man SNGs Ive played, I played very tight, cause Im used to play STTs that way. And thats the reason why I finish ITM very often, but ussually bust out after the end of bubble...so my profit is very low as MatejM47 mentioned.

IMO its very difficult to switch from early stage "folding almost everything" to early stage "accumulating chips".

The next thing IMO is that in STTs you dont play post flop so often, so my postflop skill sucks...
    • oxygenwong
      oxygenwong
      Bronze
      I like playing 6-handed and MTT at the same time, it helps to kill the boredom. I usually play 6 tables of 6 max and 3 MTT at the same time
    • onepark
      onepark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LilSteewe
      I play STTs too and thinking about MTTs, but all MTTs or 180man SNGs Ive played, I played very tight, cause Im used to play STTs that way. And thats the reason why I finish ITM very often, but ussually bust out after the end of bubble...so my profit is very low as MatejM47 mentioned.

IMO its very difficult to switch from early stage "folding almost everything" to early stage "accumulating chips".

The next thing IMO is that in STTs you dont play post flop so often, so my postflop skill sucks...
      Hey Lilsteewe.

Im exactly same!! lol I also play too tight and end up bust out after bubble... n never gone to final table..
      :(

and yes my post flop skills sux.....
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      with turbo you have a better edge in later stages
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Originally posted by joecar
      with turbo you have a better edge in later stages
      In the push fold stage your edge decreases not increases