[NL2-NL10] Was this call ok?

• MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Is decided to squeeze since it seems a perfect spot, the initial raiser had a 100% fold to 3bet, while the limper was a fish, who usually called PF raises, but was never in a situation where facing a 3-bet (i corrected this part).

Was this call correct? This fish had 75 / 14 (VPIP / PFR) over 1xx hands (and is it enough to look at these 2 stats or should I take any other into account?)

Basically, it is a pretty standard donk shove from fish on NL10, therefore I presumed he had air, in worst case scenario I'd put him on Qx.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/2286514

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $9.97
      BB (Hero):
      $12.29
      MP3:
      $10.78
      CO:
      $9.44
      BU:
      $11.93

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 7.
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.35, Hero raises to $1.70, BU folds, SB calls $1.30.

Flop: ($3.8) 6, Q, 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $8.27(All-In), Hero calls $8.27.

Turn: ($20.34) 7 (2 players)

River: ($20.34) K (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.34.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
      SB shows high card ace(A J).

Hero wins with three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
  • 6 replies
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      standard but good
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      flat pre imo.

as played, its really close. i probably call too, but in the future when posting hands, do not post results because they do not have an impact on the decision making in the hand, but just skew people's judgment when evaluating.
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      ah ok, sorry. it's actually my first hand I posted here. Anyway I'm looking for an evaluation on preflop + flop, nothing further, and I expect the further developement should not affect the people who have some clue about the game and will post their opinion here. will use your advice next time though.

so, you think the squeeze PF was a bad idea already?
      The initial raiser had 16/12/100 (vpip/pfr/fold3bet) and the fish had 75/14/- (vpip/pfr/fold3bet)

I actually did expect both of them to fold. If the initial raiser would have 4 bet me, I would fold, and if the fish would shove it in, I would probably snap call (because even if I'd put him on Ax, Kx, Qx, it would be a coinflip, but also in many cases x would be lower than 7).

wasy8: btw, how would you played the hand on the flop if you'd just call pf? just call a c-bet and then just play the set as usual?
    • CBFunk
      CBFunk
      Bronze
      Hi Jkob,

moved your thread to our hand judging forum where our hand judges will have a look at your hand and tell you if you played everything ok and what you could have played better.

Good luck at the tables :)

Clemens
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Both squeezing and flatting preflop are fine, I'm usually more inclined to squeeze big cards for card removals and also because it's easier to play against fish postflop, so I'd usually flat 77 and see a flop expecting the nit to play straight forward enough that I won't get into crappy spots. Just get out of the way if the nit c-bets and the fish calls, sandwiched between the two of them it's not worth the trouble. If nit c-bets dry board and the fish folds you can call one. If he checks back the flop and the fish doesn't donk the turn, go ahead and valuebet thin if possible when the boards are friendly to 77.

As played postflop it's your call really, you get relatively crappy odds to look up his jam since he's often got two overcards that will improve a quarter of the time to beat you by the river or he might even be like "he has AK I shove my 99!". If you're convinced he's donkjamming overcards quite often it's fine, but folding wouldn't be bad either.

Hope it helps.
    • MJQuads
      MJQuads
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot MaestroOfZerg.

Especially thanks for your PF point of view. I'm actually kinda new to this "squeeze" thing, never did it on regular basis before (and even if I did, I didn't knew there was a name for it), and now try to include this move into my game. I probably wouldn't squeeze 77 normally in such spot, but the villian's seem kinda perfect and I gave it a go.

As for the post flop, I agree, but this was just one of those situations where you know you are ahead and I obviously called under that impression. That's why I even posted this here, just wanted to hear some opinions.

Anyway, thanks again!