[NL2-NL10] NL10 6m JJ

• letmewinplz8
      letmewinplz8
      Bronze
      Villian is 17/12 reg, seems to play pretty standard.

Check/calling flop is really for pot control cos I don't really like this flop too much.
      On turn I bet to try to get value from smaller PPs and flushdraws but also so i control pot in case villian has set.

On river I think there is some value from Tx etc. but by bet/folding am I just leaving myself open to being exploited or are the regs at this level not recognising it for blockbet and so when he shoves he has FH,quads all time?

Ps. I think my turn bet should be bigger, like $1.8?

Stacks:
      UTG ($4.79)
      UTG+1 ($9.65)
      Hero ($14.32)
      BTN ($20.15)
      SB ($10.10)
      BB ($25.67)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is CO J:spade: J:heart:
      UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.30

Flop: 2:heart: 10:heart: 8:diamond: ($1.35, 3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.80, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.80

Turn: 8:spade: ($2.95, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, BTN calls $1.40

River: 5:spade: ($5.75, 2 players)
      Hero bets $2.80, BTN goes all-in $17.55, Hero folds
  • 2 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Raise more pre to isolate, to at least $.50

Cbet flop. It's not that draw heavy and you need to bet to find out where you are. Most likely you are still ahead. By check/calling you gave up your initiative. If you were raised then you need to figure out villain's raising range.

As played you should still ch/raise flop with your overpair.

Fold river is fine. Villain in NL10 usually don't push river for nothing so it's an easy fold. You should actually bet less on river if it was a block bet. 1/2 pot looks like a value bet.

Button looks like set-mining here and boated up on the turn.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Agreed, betting bigger preflop wouldn't hurt and I'm definitely c-betting that board for value, pot-control is misused way too often by people that are just scared of what might able if they bet. The truth is you can't expect villains to bet at you with worse hands too often because a good chunk of them will never (semi-)bluff at the pot (17/12 tag/nit very likely won't) and everybody at nl10 sucks at valuebetting. So by not betting yourself you're basically letting all worse hands check behind, which really isn't what you want to accomplish when playing poker. Just fire out a healthy ~$1 c-bet and you'll worry about getting raised when and if it happens. If people just call, assume they have a mix of draws and Tx/8x hands and continue to valuebet them on safe cards.

If you donkbet the turn it should be bigger yes.

As played on the river assuming he's decent nothing makes sense to me really. 22/TT/T8 would likely bet bigger on the flop, top pairs are never valueshoving the river like that, 8x/boats should have raised the turn given the huge stacks left to play for, draws often don't bet the flop even when checked to and when they miss 17/12 players rarely randomly decide to jam 100bb over as a bluff.

Best guess: either he totally snapped with a busted draw or he's too nitty/tricky for his own good and he missed a ton of value playing his boat like he did. I'd say #2 is way more likely, meaning the price isn't right for you to just him up just in case he spazzed.

Hope it helps.