MP: $4.00
      MP+1: $1.39
      Hero (CO): $4.00
      BTN: $7.19
      SB: $3.92
      BB: $4.00

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.06) Hero has Q:heart: Q:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.16, fold, SB calls $0.14, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.48, 3 players) 2:club: K:heart: 7:diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.24, SB raises to $0.60, fold, fold

SB wins $0.92

Im just gonna fold Queens Pre-flop next time, FFS.
  • 2 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      I would cbet more on the flop, say 3/4 pot. Your cbet looks weak and villain might exploit it by check-raising with hands like JJ/TT.

As played I would call the check raise and reevaluate turn in position, because of the aforementioned reason.

I found a lot of plrs in micros flat call preflop OOP and then check-raise on flop with a made set. This play is so bad because donk /call, check/call, or donk/3bet are all much better in extracting value from TPTK or overpairs.
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd say 2% of all tags at microstakes are capable of pulling a move on you once in a while on such boards, and except insane guys that want to 3 barrel everyone all day long, not one of them actually followed through on the turn after I called.

So overall I'd say if you have no reason to doubt the guy just fold. If you think he looks decent, you've caught him stabbing at some pots, he's apparently 3betting light, or any other sign that he's more aggressive than the average player, it's actually ok to call the small raise given the odds and just see what happens on the turn. More often than not you'll just see them tank a bit and check twice to you with whatever air they had. Corollary: if he just bombs the turn, don't talk yourself into calling down.

The check/raise vs other lines debate with sets is way too complicated to get into here. Depends on:

- how much air villain is c-betting, the more he c-bets air the more we want to check to him. If he barrels the turn often we want to check to him twice more.

- if he's ever capable of folding a top pair to a monster line, in which case you really don't want to check/raise too often unless...

- you can't count on him valuebetting top pairs/overpairs correctly anyway (too many tags just go into pot-control mode on the turn for now reason which really screws up your check/call lines with monsters)

- if you have history of either of you getting caught with whatever on a odd line, which you can use to your advantage by making him think you have the exact opposite of what you have assuming he's thinking about that stuff

- all of which you can then top off by thinking about balancing your ranges at higher stakes when people start to care.

Hope it helps.