CO: $4.00
      BTN: $4.00

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.06) Hero has J:heart: J:club:

UTG raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.50, 3 players) 3:diamond: 7:heart: K:heart:
      BB checks, UTG bets $0.24, fold, fold

UTG wins $0.48

The problem I find with just calling with Jacks is I don’t wear I stand on the King High Board, wear as if i 2-bet his raise and he 3-bets me I can make an easy fold.
  • 3 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      I think what you mean by 2-bet is actually the 3bet as typically used and your 3-bet = 4bet as typically used.

I would 3-bet pre for value and to isolate. JJ is definitely ahead of a normal open raise range, therefore too good to play for just set value, but becomes useless when a high card hits flop.

As played, on this flop you don't have initiative so folding is fine although weak.
    • Duudalinja

Unless he's nitty and calls 3bets with AK/QQ+ I tend to 3bet pre, because it may become ugly eventually being OOP against CO/BTN.

As played with calling pre, I would call flop and see turn action. He makes it less than 1/2 pot, so you just can't give him too much credit.

Good luck!
    • MaestroOfZerg

Guy with 100bb+ 4x'ing it from UTG => reg quite often.

A 3bet MPvsUTG just looks so strong that I don't like doing it against regs with value hands I feel like are actually behind of my perceived 3betting range. Meaning if seeing our 3bet he thinks (or assumes with charts and stuff) we have AK/QQ+ quite often, it's kinda useless to show up with JJ. Even if he's not capable of 4-betting wider than AK/QQ+ that doesn't mean he'll call with worse than JJ often either, and getting into a 3bet/fold spot when we can play a perfectly good hand in position against a wider range just doesn't look that appealing to me even if it's "easier".

So I just call and play poker postflop. If he's c-betting all the time it's a mandatory call on the flop, if he's only c-betting good hands you can straight up fold. If he's somewhere in the middle or you don't know, take your pick, just because you don't know for sure where he stands doesn't mean you're making a huge mistake no matter which way you go. Chances are when in doubt I'm calling since he's betting so small and he could have stuff like AQ/TT no matter how nitty he is, nobody folds that preflop from UTG in SH.

Hope it helps.