Stealing Pots

• Mookie88
      Mookie88
      Bronze
      Analyzing my game, I see that my major downfall is always trying to steal pots when I miss the flop. I mean hell, it does work a lot, but it's an awful habit that kills me in the long run. Anyone have some tips that would help me? or should I just gradually tell myself to check it off.

By the way, new member.. great site.
  • 7 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Thanks Mookie88!

If you feel uncomfortable with stealing pots I recommend that you just don't do it. Which strategy are you playing? I hope it's the short stack strategy?!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • patrick10
      patrick10
      Bronze
      if by "stealing pots when you miss the flop", you are refferring to continuatiuon betting, this is standard. Hhowever, do it when you are in position, when you have raised PF and when you are only against 1 opponent.

You do not need to cbet 100% of pots you raise PF, maybe 70%. You do not need to fire more than 1 barrel. At lower limits, it may be better to just fire on the flop and give up if you dont make your hand on the turn and river. Most players down low stakes are so passive that if you c-bet the flop they will check it down anyway, thye don't know how to bet for value.

also, id you are shortsacking, dont pot commit yourself (which would mean it is a mistake to fold your hand, even if you have next to nothing). AK is probably a big prob for you amirite?

and lol if its a bad habit killing you in the long run, maybe it isnt working alot heh
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      In Soviet Russia, pots steal from you.
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Simple: steal pots on the turn and river when you think in terms of how the hand developed that there's a likely chance your opponent will fold. I use a 80% certainty standard which is, I presume, a reasonable standard.
    • patrick10
      patrick10
      Bronze
      timor could you explain abit if you are indeed serious?

why should we steal pots on the turn and river rather than the flop, and what certainty standards are you talking about ? or was that a joke post ?
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      Why would this be a joke? There are, however, certain conditions for doing it. It must be done against a thinking opponent who's able to lay a hand down. On the lower limits, people often call you down, so it's not recommended to try there. But as you move up the limits, the steal play has to become a play you must gradually implement imo.
      For instance, say you raise with AJs from middle position, and a late position player calls. You put him on a medium pair, flop comes Q54 rainbow. You fire a contibet, and get called. You know your opponent would raise in this position with a Q or higher, and fold everything below a pair, so he doesn't like floating. Turn comes, K with the fourth different suit. The perfect scare card. You fire a second barrel, and your opponent folds. It sounds simple, but it takes practice to notice which situations are good and which are not.
    • patrick10
      patrick10
      Bronze
      ok

but that is not good advice in regards to the OP who is having trouble just with C Bets and is presumably playing low limts...

IMO new players shouldnt be recommended to use 2nd barrel and 3rd barrel bluffs.

that is going to bust them very quickly